Twenty-Two

"You really are a bloody MacTavish.", Ghost growled while audible anger made his words sound heavy. "What the hell was that about?!"

His dark eyes locked with yours. For the very first time there were clear, visible emotions in them.

It almost made you huff to see that this small cockiness had been enough to finally show his human side instead of the solider one that he wore like a second mask.

His grip on you tightened with impatience as he noticed the grin on your lips.

"Relax.", you didn't make any attempt to move.

Ghost was a large man, a good bit taller than you and such a unit that a fistfight between the two of you wouldn't have ended happily for you.

It would have been foolish of you to try and overwhelm him by force.

But your ability with words was a different matter.

He was angry and obviously not impressed with the way you decided to handle things.

All you needed to do was to convince him. After all, he wasn't just one chunk of a man but also had some brains.

Something that you couldn't say about that lovely brother of yours.

"Ghost.", you looked him dead in the eye. "Calm yourself."

Usually, that made your opponents calm down or at least feel intimidated a little.

With Ghost, it totally backfired.

His grip on you tightened so much that the air circulation got cut off for a moment and you could just breath flatly.

Pressure grew on your chest as he came closer to meet you face to face.

"You've got us into a load of fuckin' trouble!", his voice was so deep in that moment that it was able to make your core shiver.

It was a pleasant feeling, yet you weren't sure if your body also reacted with lust. It was enough to make your brain tingle though.

The tips of his fingers dug into the soft flesh of your neck.

Even though he wore gloves there was still so much power in him that he managed to cause a slight sensation of a scratch on your skin.

Out of reflex, you wrapped a hand around his wirst to give it a gentle squeeze of wanting.

"I said, calm down.", you repeated, unwilling to back down now. "They will call her here."

"She'll just tell them that we are imposters."

A grin appeared on your face.

Maybe it was a foolish move but you couldn't help and feel superior in that moment.

He absolutely had no idea what you were planning. And it gave you a good feeling to know that a man as legendary as Ghost himself was unable to see through you.

That meant over all these years you didn't become rusty but rather legendary yourself.

With a cheeky expression on your face you raised your chin to deepen the eye contact.

"If they call El Sin Nombre, they need a secure line.", you explained in a calm manner. "A burner phone won't do."

The anger in his eyes softened.

Yet he kept himself tense.

"Even if they call her, we won't get out of here without trouble."

"So? All we need to do is keep them busy long enough for Gaz to find out where the signal is coming from. And then we bail."

"We don't have enough ammo for all of there people."

Almost chuckling, one of your eyebrows rose.

"What? You've never used enemy arms when out of options? There are about thirty armed people in here, you and me excluded. We will be fine."

A low sound got stuck in his throat. It was something between a growl and a defeated sigh.

"You're really a MacTavish.", he hummed, almost out of energy to fight against that cursed bloodline of yours and let go.

Finally, fresh air filled your lungs again.

But in the spot where his hand had held you tight a burning feeling remained. It almost felt like the shape of his fingers had seeped into your flesh to always make it remember how it would feel to be at mercy of a man like him.

You didn't hate it.

Quite the opposite even.

It made you smile.

You had survived his rage. And he didn't even dare to seriously harm you.

You were sure that if he had wanted to he would have made you pass out right on the spot.

But the way he had held you made you believe that he didn't dare to do that.

Either because he was such a loyal friend to Soap or because he genuinely refused to cause you harm.

No matter what it was, it took a lot of mistrust from you. Perhaps this was finally a soldier that you would deem worthy of becoming your assigned partner for missions.

So far he didn't appear all too bad.

"Get Gaz on the line.", Ghost demanded as he threw a glance around the corner to check what was going on.

"Already did.", you rubbed your neck a few times to get rid of the warmth that his hand had left. "He's on it. What do you see?"

Out of a habit, your hand reached down to feel for the gun that you had tucked away.

The cold handle send shivers down your spine.

Your fingers wrapped around it like it was all they ever knew of.

"They are loose.", he said and turned back to lean against the wall, arms crossed. "I don't speak Spanish."

A soft huff escaped you.

"No need.", you took a moment to listen to the yelling and shouting. "Panic and anger is a universal language."

"Do you think they caught us?"

You shrugged and threw a glance to the side to check out the rest of the area.

There was a corridor not far from where you stood.

A cool breeze of air came out of it. It was probably a way down to the cellar.

Most of the times cellars were used as either drug storage or for guns and ammo. Not matter what it would be, there must have been a secret way out.

"I think we should check out that way.", you gestured with your head towards the dark stairs.

"If there's no way out we're trapped."

"We are already. Let's not waste possible chances."