Thirty-Four

With a gaze as deadly as fire, Soap sat next to you in the passenger seat while your hands were on the steering wheel.

Even though he looked like he was about to end your life, you couldn't hide the amused smirk on your face.

With lazy eyes, you glanced at him from the side.

"Got somethin' to say?", it was just meant as a tease, but you knew that a storm was about to come.

His eyebrows drew together while he pulled a face that reminded you an awful lot of the one he used to make as a teenager after you had caught him in some shit once again.

For a moment he stared at you.

You could feel the icy touch of his eyes on you despite keeping your eyes on the road.

Thankfully, you and Soap were alone in the car.

This sibling conflict and his childish attitude would have made it a lot more awkward if Price or Alejandro would have been with you.

Or Ghost, since he was the reason why your brother was mad in the first place.

"I can't believe you screwed him, ya deaf cunt!", it blurted out of him.

You had to curl your lips in order to not laugh out loud.

Whenever Johnny was mad his accent came through. Now it wasn't as thick as it could have been, but you could tell by the sound of it how mad he was.

And it was about to become worse.

Depending on your response.

For a second you played with the thought of teasing him to the point when even you struggled to understand what he was saying.

But the memories of his terrible teenage temper returned and you quickly shook the idea off again.

Taking a deep breath, you grabbed the steering wheel a little harder to release pressure.

You needed to be calm and think about your next words.

Otherwise the two of you might end up in a flipped car.

"What are you made about?", you asked, eyes still on the road.

Soap's mouth moved.

A low sound got stuck in his throat.

Your eyes jumped to him again, but this time lower.

His rifle was stored between his legs. He had one hand rested on it.

You didn't believe that he would ever hurt you. But as your bigger brother you fully believed that Soap would shoot you in the face for what you had done if it wouldn't have any consequences.

"He's my friend, eh?", his voice was awfully silent, shaking with tension.

He tried to be a good big brother and not jump into your face right away.

But it made you feel bitter to see him try. After all, if he would have tried to stay out of your business you wouldn't have to argue with him now in the first place.

Taking a deep breath, you closed your eyes for a brief second before exhaling again.

"You asked him to babysit me.", you tried your hardest not to sound resentful.

But there was a bit of bitterness in your voice. Frustration.

Soap moved in his seat.

A sound escaped him.

You knew what that meant. He had made this exact sound way back when the two of you still had been kids as well.

He knew he was at fault. At least a little bit.

But his ego nor his stubbornness would have ever allowed him to admit that.

He never took credit. Not when it came to being a jerk of a big brother.

"There's nothin' wrong with asking a friend to be a good teammate.", he crossed his arms in a snobby, childish manner.

"I'm a feckin' adult, how many times do I have to tell ya?"

"And I'm your big brother!"

"And you always will be, Johnny!", your voice was shaking as you said his name out loud. "You always will be my brother, but for fucks sake, let me fight my own battles."

For a moment there was nothing but silence in the car. Thick, tense, uncomfortable silence.

Every breath of his could be heard. He was mad, it was audible in the way he sucked in some air.

You should have never followed in my footsteps, he finally said in such a bitter way that something inside your chest pulled together.

Your grip on the steering wheel tightened. Nails dug into cold leather and left deep marks.

"I joined the army because I wanted to be like you.", your eyes moved to the corner of your vision to gift him a warning glance.

His face was grim as your gazes locked.

His lips formed a thin line, a deep breath made his chest flatten.

"I never wanted you to be like me.", his voice shook with restrained anger. "You shouldn't have turned out like me."

Frustration tied your throat.

"I didn't turn out like you.", your eyes returned to the road while one of your hands moved to pat the Lieutenant patch that was attached to your shoulder. "I turned out better."

Almost immediately you regretted your words.

But just like many things in life it was too late to fox your mistake. The damage was already done.

Not a single word of protest escaped Soap's mouth. All he did was glare at you.

It felt like his eyes dug into your flesh, crawled through every layer and all the way to your soul where it but down to make you never forget about it.

You hated yourself.

Yet you hated him for still being the same overprotective prick.

A shaky breath escaped your lips.

"Instead of your money, I could have used your protection.", you managed to press out between clenched teeth. "I needed you with me when I was a kid, Johnny."

"So you don't need me anymore?", he asked, cold yet audibly upset.

You shook your head.

"No. No, I don't need you anymore. But I want you by my side. As my brother. Not my protector. I made it myself. I escaped her the way you did."

"All I wanted was to pave the way so you wouldn't have it that hard."

"And you did. And I'll always be thankful for that. But it's time to let me walk my own path. Without you holding my hand."