Twenty

The human brain was something truly amazing yet it had frightening extras that made you feel terrified of yourself.

It wasn't every day that you felt nervous on missions.

You have had your fair share of danger over the years, be it the chase after hostages, a gun pressed into your guts or even a knife to your throat.

There was nothing that could truly make you freak out or scream in panic.

After a while the human brain got used to every kind of danger and just reacted in a dull manner. If it even reacted at all.

But this was entirely different.

Maybe it was because you had to work with someone you didn't know.

Or it was because you just entered a room full of armed up Narcos who all had alcohol shimmer in their eyes.

No matter what it was, your mind was on edge.

Thankfully, it wasn't possible to see that on your face.

As soon as you entered the room, the laughters died down.

Heads snapped around and hands reached for guns.

You threw a broad smile into the round.

"Hola, amigos.", you nodded your head to one of them. "Didn't want to crash the party."

Confusion mixed with the anger on their faces.

"Who the fuck are you?", one asked and pointed his pistol at you, finger on the trigger.

You didn't react, but could feel how Ghost moved behind you.

A low sound could be heard from him. A warning.

You opened your arms in a welcoming manner and took a step towards the group.

"Amigos, why the anger?", you asked in Spanish and chuckled slightly. "Didn't El Sin Nombre tell you?"

Now there was more confusion.

Unsure, they exchanged looks while their hands flinched with every move you did.

One of them, a man with a beard and dozens of gold necklaces around his neck, rose from the couch to meet you face to face.

Grimly, he pulled a face and came so close that his nose almost brushed against yours.

Still grinning, you glanced up to him.

He was tall. Not as tall as Ghost, yet quite a bloke with broad shoulders and a decent amount of weight.

He wasn't muscular and a visibly out of shape, which led you to believe that his physical condition wasn't a threat to you.

"What are you doing here, pendejo?", he asked in a voice that was the product of a life long cigarette consumption.

Unimpressed, you looked past him to check the other men out and a few of the women as well, before meeting his gaze again.

"Like I said.", you clenched one hand into a fist a pressed it into his guts with a cocky grin. "Didn't El Sin Nombre tell you?"

A low growl made his chest vibrate.

From the corner of your eyes you were able to see how Ghost tensed.

He stood a few steps away, his arms crossed in front of his chest. Yet he was on edge like a tiger who was out on the hunt.

He was ready to kill whoever dared to make a mistake.

Not noticeable, you gestured for him to relax and leave the situation to you.

The man in front of you frowned. His patience visibly shrank while he tried his best not to shoot you on the spot.

For a short moment his eyes wandered over you before they got caught by the necklace that dangled around your neck.

He frowned. Visible confusion crossed his eyes.

"Where did you get this?", his hand rose in an attempt to grab the pendant.

You were about to allow him as all of a sudden a shadow chased toward and wrapped around the man's wrist.

In one harsh movement he was pulled to the side.

Struck by surprise, everyone froze.

Everyone except you. All you did was let out a slight chuckle.

"Let him go.", you told Ghost in Spanish but also gifted him a glance that made it obvious what you wanted.

Ghost's eyes locked with yours.

You didn't know why, but it was enough to spread goosebumps all over your body.

All he did was stare and yet the little hairs in the back of your neck stood up straight.

Ghost blinked.

Then he let go in such a harsh manner that the man almost lost his balance.

With bared teeth the narco pulled out his gun and pressed it to Ghost's stomach.

He didn't react. All he did was look down on the man.

"Amigo.", you placed a hand on the gun to push it down and make the barrel point towards the floor. "No need to get heated. We're here because she send us."

The man's eyes moved to you.

For a moment he just stared. It almost felt like he was about to punch you in the face.

"Where did you get that?", he asked again and gestured towards the necklace with his gun.

You grabbed it to show him.

"She gave it to me.", you purred with a grin. "Because we are supposed to get this place together."

"We have a leader. Pablo just got the job."

"Pablo's dead.", you said bluntly and crossed both arms in front of your chest. "The gringos got him."

His eyes widened.

"Americans?"

You shrugged.

"Likely. But what does that matter? They got him. He's gone.", you let out a deep breath to make clear how little you were thrilled about this conversation. "She needs somebody to run the place and I'm here now."

"I've never seen you."

"A good gambler never shows all of their cards. And she's a damn good one. We come from the underground."

Sceptical, he eyed Ghost.

"Business?", the man asked with an aggressive nod of his chin.

Ghost didn't bother to respond. His eyes just moved to you.

"We are the ones who get rid of problems.", you said. "Every small one and the big ones. Clean."

"I didn't ask you. What's with him? Dog got his tongue?"

You huffed.

"No.", you locked eyes with Ghost so that he would play along. "But the gringos did."