Twenty-One

"You need to be more chill.", you whispered up to Ghost as a calm moment made it possible.

With your back leaned against the wall and both arms crossed in front of your chest, you let your eyes wander through the room.

The narcos ran around like bees in a hive. Every single moment gazes were thrown towards you a Ghost while they kept calling different people with different phones.

You suspected that most of these phones were burner ones, not easy to follow the calls if it was even possible in the first place.

Gaz knew about the calls already.

Secretly, you hoped that he would find something so that you would be able to run for the hills as soon as possible.

But it didn't seem like he had anything to report since the lines were dead.

Next to you, Ghost let out a deep breath.

With one arm popped on a table for support he let his eyes wander down to you.

"I'm calm.", he said and almost made it sound like a threat.

You rolled your eyes.

"You almost caught a bullet."

"So that you didn't have to."

Annoyed, you chewed on the inside of your cheek.

This felt just like the conversation you've had with Soap for many, many times after you had told him that you would follow in his military footsteps.

He had hated the idea.

And yet you were above his rank now and you had to worry about him.

Some things truly never changed.

"Everything that happens can be controlled or turned around, Lieutenant.", you explained in a forcefully calm manner. "Let me handle my shit and you can handle yours."

He hummed but it didn't sound convinced.

You knew this kind of sound. It was only to cater to your mood and made you think everything was settled only for him to do it again.

"Unfortunately, Johnny made me have an eye on you.", he said in his rough voice and made himself more comfortable. "And if you know, your brother is very convincing."

The tip of your tongue pressed against the inside of your cheek as you closed your eyes and swallowed a curse.

"If you don't want to loose an eye, you'll let me handle myself, Riley.", you hissed and gifted him a warning glance.

Pushing yourself off the wall, you brought some distance between you and Ghost before your attention was caught by a sudden movement in the corner of your eyes.

With a grin you approach the man who had been watching.

"Amigo!", you patted his shoulder with a chuckle. "Were you listening?"

With his lips pressed into a thin line and a grim look on his face, he shook his head.

"No.", he replied and tried to escape your grip.

But you tightened your arm around his neck to keep him in place.

"Don't leave, amigo, I want to talk."

"I don't know what about?"

You grinned.

"You don't trust us. None of you do.", you gestured into the room to show him everyone. "We've been send by El Sin Nombre herself. Why don't you trust us? Why do you doubt her decision?"

Doubt appeared in his eyes. A hint of pressure made him pull his head in.

It was obvious that your behaviour had some sort of effect on the group. But it was probably not the way you wanted.

Perhaps they saw it as threatening.

Or maybe as some form of tease.

Either way, you needed to get them to do what you wanted as quickly as possible.

A sight escaped your lips. You let go of the man.

"Alright, amigo.", you fixed the collar of his shirt that you had messed up. "If you and your buddies don't like us that much, why don't you go and get what you need from her?"

Surprised yet unsure, his eyes moved through the room.

"Qué?", he asked, hesitantly.

"You heard me.", your voice grew louder as you walked into the room, arms spread. "Amigos, let's get El Sin Nombre here! If you don't trust us, you surely will trust her. No?"

Evil eyes fell onto you.

Unsure, everyone looked through the room, trying to find someone who agreed this sounded just as lunatic as they thought it was.

With their hands on every gun imaginable, they glanced at you to double check if you were serious or not.

"You must be out of your mind.", one of them growled.

You shrugged and crossed both arms in front of your chest.

"I have El Sin Nombre on my side.", you insisted with a grin as confident as you have ever been. "Go on. Call her. Get her here. Waste her time."

Eyebrows drew together.

Lips moved and whispers started to fill the tense silence.

It was obvious that they feared to call the one and only narco boss. They were afraid to make mistakes that they were supposed to know better.

Yet again, they feared that if they called and found out you weren't supposed to be with them, they would all loose a few fingers. If it would only be fingers.

Tension build up in the room, so much that one could have cut it with a knife.

Nobody dared to move.

All that filled the silence was the breathing of people.

"For fucks sake!", one of the men suddenly yelled and raised his gun to the ceiling. "Somebody bring me a phone!"

Filled with hatred and warnings, his eyes moved to lock with yours.

But all you could do was raise your chin and smile as broadly as you could.

He was right where you wanted him to be.

The trap had worked.

But there wasn't a lot of time to be proud of your achievement.

All of a sudden a harsh hand grabbed you by the collar and grabbed you along the hallway, away from the people.

You wanted to say something however not a moment after your lips parted your back hit a wall and all the air was pressed out of your lungs.