Twenty-Four

A small click made the hairs in the back of your neck rise.

Slowly, a gap opened in the door.

Almost immediately cold wind caressed your face.

It smelled crisp and almost fresh with a hint of sweat and used rubber tires.

Light cut through the darkness.

Muffled sounds turned into voices and engine noise.

From the corner of your eyes you checked in with Ghost. Only after he gave you a nod did you dare to slide your hand into the crack and push the door open wide enough for you to slip through.

It took your eyes a moment to adjust to the new brightness. White lights danced across your vision.

With your head pulled in you dug behind a huge shelf that was stacked with boxes and barrels to take a look at the situation.

Ghost waited at the door to secure the way back in case something went wrong along the line.

Hundreds of people operated around the place, carried goods and boxed from one place to another. It looked like they were nothing but simple storage workers with their bright vests and hard shell helms.

The only thing that was concerning was the stench of gasoline and chemicals.

Not a single person didn't have deep wrinkles on their face.

Most looked like they were in their late thirties to early forties but in reality they probably were a good but younger.

Not far from where you crouched a man appeared to shove a large container onto one of the shelves.

You threw a glance at the label.

Speaking Spanish was one thing but reading didn't count to your many skills. It lacked for many reasons and yet you managed to understand enough to know that this stuff wasn't just highly dangerous to the human health but could also be used as chemical weapons.

A low sound of worry escaped your lips.

This wasn't good.

If Las Almas would make use of that stuff they would have enough quantity to take down an entire base.

A base such as the one of Alejandro.

Quickly, you threw a glance over to Ghost to inform him about the issue at hand.

He got the hint, stretched his neck and checked out the shelves in front of him as well before confirming your worries with a nod of his head.

With caution you grabbed your communicator to send out a signal to the other units.
Perhaps the connection in this area was better since the narcos needed a way to exchange intel amongst themselves as well.

But luck wasn't on your side that night.

All that returned to you was a static sound that was so penetrant that it felt like your ears were about to bleed.

Annoyed, you let out a soft sound, pulled a face and rushed back to side with Ghost.

"Nothing.", your eyes wandered through the area. "I can feel air. There must be an exit."

Ghost let a sound of agreement be heard before he turned to throw a glance over to one of the men that worked nearby.

"They don't seem well armed.", he noted.

"If they are civilians we should let them be."

As close to the ground as it was humanly possible to you, you took a chance and crossed an isle to get closer to the opposite wall.

Ghost followed.

It was surprising how silent he could move despite the size he was. Not a single sound could be heard from his steps and as he rose a bit to bend his legs to avoid pain it seemed so effortless and quick that even you almost missed to notice him move.

The bright parts of his eyes wandered between the shelves while the two of you kept on hiding.

It felt like the men were everywhere.

Wherever you walked, voices followed.

There was no escape, no matter how silent you were, unseen.

As you reached a corner, you pressed your back against the wall and gestured for Ghost to help you to climb one of the giant metal shelves.

At first he refused, wanted to straighten his back and stand up straight.

Quickly, you grabbed him by the collar and pulled him down with all your weight.

It took him by surprise. He stumbled and was forced to drop back to his knees.

An annoyed sound made his throat vibrate.

His eyes moved to gift you a warning look.

With a shake of your head, you returned the attitude.

"You're a big ass bloke.", you reminded him and started to climb the shelf yourself. "They'll see you."

You were about to pull yourself up the second level as his hands wrapped around your waist and pulled you down.

Struck by surprise, you let go.

Immediately, gravity pulled you down.

But instead of smashing into the cold hard ground, you hit something else that was solid.

Ghost's chest.

With cautious force, he wrapped his arms around your body to keep you still.

"This isn't a good idea, Lieutenant.", he hummed into your ear.

Annoyed, you tried to push an elbow into his rib cage.

But he was a lot more flexible than you had expected him to be for his size.

"For one last bloody time, Ghost.", you bared your teeth. "I want you to fuckin' let me go. Stop playing Soap's right hand man!"

"You're too loud."

"Oh, I can be much louder than that."

"And get us killed?"

His grip around you loosened.

You took that moment to free yourself and slide away far enough for him to not be able to get into your way no more.

"I'm trying to do my fucking job.", you insisted with forced calmness in your voice and your teeth clenched.

His expression clearly changed behind the mask.

Disinterest turned into annoyance.

"You're the one who keeps bushing the limits.", he crossed his arms in an almost angry manner. "You talk openly. You don't act cautious. You even made them call El Sin Nombre and got us into shit."

You shrugged.

"So? It worked. Everything I do is risky. But it always works."

"I can't believe Laswell would rely on somebody like you."

"Oh?", your eyebrows rose with a sarcastic smirk. "You really think she got me here because I don't take risks? I am the risk. If nobody wants to do something, I'll take the fall. Every mission I go on could be my last. Because I'm hired to do what others don't want to. Don't fuck with methods, Ghost. I'm just doing my bloody job."