Twenty-Three

Darkness was a danger in many kinds of way.

Sometimes it was a friend, helped to keep yourself hidden and undetected to use the element of surprise.

But it could also be used against yourself, since every advantage you had through darkness could also be used by the enemy forces.

"Bravo 6, do you copy?", you asked over the radio.

Static sounds replied.

"We're a few feet down the earth, don't bother.", Ghost hummed. "Keep your eyes up ahead."

With your gun in hand and your head pulled in you walked before Ghost and listened if something moved.

But all there was to be heard was the howling of the wind.
The cellar was cold. Suspiciously cold, even if it was dark outside and the tunnel reached a good bit down into the ground.

Boxes lined up along the way.

Whenever you passed one, a strange stench filled your nose.

It wasn't the smell of cocaine nor any other drug you would have been familiar with.

Perhaps chemicals that were needed to make them. Or something far worse.

Your head already felt a little dizzy with every breath you took. But there was no time to take a break.

If some area was terminated it was best to get out of it was quickly as possible.

Gesturing towards a door, you stopped and let Ghost go first to clear the way.

He nodded and walked on.

You followed, but couldn't shake off the habit to take a look inside one more time yourself.

"Can you smell something?", you asked as another gush of cold air chased through the tunnel.

Ghost let out a hum.

"Iron.", he said.

"There must be water here somewhere."

"We're underground in a mountain. It's pretty likely."

You hummed.

Quickly, you let your eyes wander over the wall before moving on.

The walls were wet, nothing unusual for a place underground that was close to a natural water source. But somehow it didn't feel like pure, natural water.

It felt a little sticky, almost hard to the touch. And as you rubbed the tips of your fingers some kind of acidic smell reached your nose.

Confused, you frowned.

"Gasoline..?", you asked.

Immediately, Ghost stopped.

His eyes moved over his shoulder to look back at you for a brief second. Then he pulled out a flashlight and took a look at the wall himself.

The bright light blinded your sensitive eyes for a moment. But as the pupils sharpened, colourful shimmers appeared.

Like rainbows dripping down a wall, liquid soaked through the ceiling and made the air flicker with red, yellow, green and blue.

It took you a moment to realise what it was.

"They took preparations.", you hummed. "In case somebody finds them they can set everything on fire."

Not skipping a single second, Ghost grabbed you by the arm and pulled you along.

He was quicker on his feet now, almost restless.

"We should hurry.", he urged you to move faster.

With both hands on to your gun your legs started running on their own.

The air got more persistent, colder.

"We're getting closer to the exit!", you huffed while the taste of gasoline clogged your lungs. "I can hear the wind."

Every step felt like it got harder to keep your eyes open.

Shadows started to move. Or maybe they didn't since the stench obviously played tricks on your mind.

Some sort of dizziness made your every step feel tough and unstable.

It burned on your tongue.

All of a sudden you stumbled over your own feel.

With a sound of surprise, you threatened to fall to the ground but hands grabbed you by the collar.

As if you didn't weight anything, Ghost threw you over his shoulder and moved on.

In an attempt to grab something for stability, you let your hands run down his back and chest to dig into his clothes and hold on for dear life.

"Don't get hasty, Ghost.", you managed to press out between clenched teeth as he headed straight for a large metal door that cut off the exit. "We should check if it's safe first."

He stopped right in front of it, let you slide off his shoulder and took a step back.

You pressed an ear against the cold metal.

Muffled sounds and noises filled your head. You could barely think straight.

Breathing felt like a punishment.

"Can you pick the lock?", Ghost kneeled down next to you and opened one of his water bottle supplies to make you take a sip.

It felt like the liquid washed away the feeling of gasoline on your tongue as you swallowed greedily.

"I could...", you took a deep breath. "But we don't know what's on the other side."

"But you can hear there is something."

You double checked.

"Sounds heavy. Vehicles, maybe. Or a storage unit."

"Underground?"

"Nothing special for the narcos. They are slick as hell."

"But that also means there must be an exit.", Ghost took a step back to give you some space to operate.

He raised his gun and took a defensive position to make sure that no bad surprises would occur.

With fingers stiff with tension, you pushed a wire into the lock and started to get to work.

It was easy to tell by the first movement that there was extra resistance. It wasn't just a simple lock but one with extra security.

Whatever was behind that door, it was meant to be protected from unwanted attention.

The first barrier of the lock snapped.

Tension eased.

With raised eyebrows you threw a glance over to him to double check if he was cautious.

His eyes locked with yours.

Somehow, that made your body react with goosebumps.

He nodded and took position again.

You returned the gesture, turned back to the lock and kept on pushing.

The second resistance broke. The door moved and a sound of release filled the tense silence.

One last barricade remained.

A soft curse escaped your lips.

Ghost noticed.

"What's the problem?", he asked, frowning.

"Extra barrier.", you pulled a face. "We need to get rid of the lock."