Thirty-Seven

Darkness was a friend and an enemy.

It didn't matter who took advantage of being blind. All that mattered was who knew darkness better.

And you knew it very well.

Holding your breath, you managed to get your feet back on the ground.

Gaz was already waiting, gun drawn.

Carefully he scanned the night for movement.

"Alejandro.", you had to strain not to talk too loud. Hold your position. "We're closing in."

"Roger that, 100.", he replied.

"Tell the team on the ridge to give us a few minutes.", you gave a signal Ghost could make out with his night vision. "We're clearing the way. Keep your distance."

"Roger.", returned Ghost.

"100, there's movement on the other side.", Price's voice revealed, he wanted a plan before he'd let you act.

You smirked.

"We'll climb over their heads, Captain.", you said, pressing your back against the stone wall. "Attack from above."

With a gesture you signalled Gaz to get ready.

With a grim expression on his face, he put down the rope and the climbing hook he had thrown over his shoulder and began to prepare the equipment.

Alejandro did the same with his equipment when he realised what your plan was.

"Amigo, you should move a little further back.", you warned him. "In case we run into the patrol, you can cover us from behind."

"I'm on it.", he murmured and disappeared into the darkness, which did not allow any eye to recognise even the white buttons on his equipment.

Luckily he had dark hair. That made him even harder to find.

Next to you, Gaz threw his hook into the air.

A soft clang sounded as the metal scraped against the cement.

Tensely you squinted your eyes and listened.

It was already possible to hear footsteps on the other side. Muffled voices filled the silence.

"We don't have much time left.", you murmured. "Either we get up now or have to retreat."

Understandably, he nodded.

"One more try.", he assured himself, and caught the hook that didn't find enough support and fell back.

"Concentrate, Gaz.", you reminded him. "Deep breaths. Eyes on the target. All we need is one good shot."

For a moment his gaze wandered upwards.

The wall was high, almost like that of a fortress. Or a military base.

It was disadvantageous that you didn't have a winch on you, then it would have been as if you had managed to attach the hook at that height by yourself.

But a shot would have been too loud.

The narcos on the other side were already so close that you could hear a few words of Spanish in their conversation.

Warningly you raised a hand.

Gaz paused.

"They are at the gate.", you whispered. "Captain, what's the situation?"

A low hum filled your ears.

"They're one click out. Heading for the gate.", Price confirmed. "There are two of them. One is waiting in the driveway on the other side. Be careful. All are armed up."

"Roger that.", you signalled Gaz to hurry up. "Alejandro, are you up yet?"

"Affirmative, 100.", Alejandro's voice sounded strained, as if he needed to concentrate. "Got my eyes on one target."

"Don't shoot yet. We need to form a line. Otherwise we can't take the risk."

A low sound could be heard from the Mexican.

He started to grow impatient.

You knew how it felt to be so close to a target that you had worked to reach for months.

From what you heard about Alejandro's story, he had been waiting months, if not years, to find El Sin Nombre.

And now he was so close.

He was getting nervous.

Like a little boy who knew he was going to be given his first bike for Christmas.

"Easy, amigo.", you reminded him. "We don't even know if she's here."

"I can smell her poisonous ways ten miles into the wind.", he growled. "The men who walk around here have tattoos."

Gaz managed to get the hook high enough for one of the claws to catch on the wall.

It wasn't a good hold, but it had to be good enough for at least one of you to make it onto the wall. After that, safety could be restored.

Your eyebrows drew together.

"What do tattoos have to do with your restlessness, amigo?", you asked and signalled to Gaz to get up.

Immediately he set about testing the safety and then disappeared towards the sky.

You retreated further against the wall.

With your gun drawn, you let your eyes wander through the darkness.

"Valeria likes to mark her trophies.", Alejandro's voice dripped with disgust. "Her best men wear an N on their necks."

An amused sound escaped you.

"Like dogs wear a collar.", you murmured, glancing up.

Gaz had made it to the top.

Hastily he signalled for you to follow.

Alejandro almost had to laugh.

"Dogs are loyal.", he growled. "They are their slaves."

A huff escaped you.

"Do you think we can win them over?", you grabbed the rope and tugged on it a few times.

Gaz began to pull you up into the air.

"I think they are too afraid of Valeria.", the outline of Alejandro appeared at the top of the wall.

Your eyes narrowed.

"Can you see where they are?"

"Right at the gate. Looks like they are coming out."

"We'll be gone in a minute.", you eyed the men. "Ghost, can you get them from above?"

A dull hum sent shivers up your arms.

"Might attract attention.", he noted.

"Can you or can't you?", you asked with slight irritation in your voice.

Say when.

"As soon as they come out the gate.", you managed to throw yourself over the edge and grabbed Gaz's hand that he offered for support. "We'll take care of the one inside. Alejandro, be ready. We might need to storm."

"Roger that, 100.", Alejandro disappeared in the dark again.

That man was like a shadow. He seemed to be part of this place just the way the walls were.

"Good...", you hummed with a smirk and a finger on the trigger. "They're coming."