Twenty-Eight

Alejandro was a man with charisma, a born leader.

Even though this was the first one on one you had with him, you immediately felt welcomed and at ease in his presence.

He wasn't as stiff as Price in his behaviour yet he had some sort of harshness to himself that made him different from the casual, laid back type that you were.

"I'd offer you a drink, but we don't serve alcohol on this base.", Alejandro said as he placed a glass bottle of soda in front of you. "You're good with Jarritos?"

Smirking, you accepted the drink with a nod of your head.

"I don't drink on jobs.", you said and took a first, careful sip to test. "Sweet..."

"Si, but could be a lot sweeter.", he took a big sip. "My brothers and I used to steal a bottle or two from the local store after we finished playing football. When I was a kid this tasted like the best thing in the world."

The nostalgic expression on his face made you smile as well. Yet you couldn't help but still feel a little defensive.

You knew where this was going.

"I don't know how it's like growing up in a country that is owned by narcos.", you took another sip to enjoy the sweet taste of oranges while the warm sunlight kissed your skin. "But Soap and I grew up in... difficult circumstances as well."

"Oh?", sarcastically, Alejandro threw a glance over his shoulder. "So you had to run from men with guns too? Men who tried to get you to sell drugs for them?"

For a moment you returned the stare.

"No.", you finally said. "We ran from our fathers. And sometimes mother as well."

Understanding, he hummed and turned back to watch the sun.

"You can't chose family."

"I disagree. I chose mine. And so did Soap."

Taking another sip, Alejandro nodded.

"The army is his family, isn't it?", he asked and glanced at you once more. "But you don't agree."

You pulled a face.

"I do.", you took another sip to cover the bitterness in your voice with the soda. "But he sometimes forgets who got him to where he is now."

"You're mad at him?"

The question struck you light lightning. It made your chest feel so heavy that breathing hurt for a moment.

You could feel the corners of your eyes burn.

But you refused to cry. This wasn't the place nor was Alejandro the person you wanted to cry in front of.

"No...", you took such a big sip that half of the bottle was gone within the breath of a second. "No, I'm disappointed. He joined the army to escape. So did I."

"Then why are the two of you such a terrible team?", Alejandro almost laughed.

Your eyes moved to glance at him from the side.

Almost immediately, the smirk on his face vanished.

It was a cold, almost hateful kind of stare that you gifted him.

Even though you did not wish to be rude to Alejandro, he had hit a sore spot. Ever since your childhood it had been hard for you to hide the emotions on your face whenever somebody managed to do that.

It was one of your few flaws.

Over the time in the army you had perfected almost everything, knew a little bit of whatever.

And yet, this was that one thing that you mother had given you that you couldn't get rid of.

It was her blood in you.

And you hated it.

"Soap escaped to the army at a young age.", you said in a calm yet painfully tense voice. "And as he did, he thought that everything would turn out better for us. He promised me that we will always be together. He wanted to always be there for me. Make sure there was money. Food on the table."

A hint of confusion crossed Alejandro's eyes. But he was smart enough to know that there was more to the story.

"And that is bad?", he asked, carefully.

With a deep breath, you closed your eyes and shook your head.

"No...", you emptied the rest of your soda and placed the bottle on the ground.

As glass hit concrete, a small cling sound could be heard.

He crawled into your ear and up to your brain to make it tingle, just the way it had back on those rare occasions when Johnny had come home with a bottle of old school Coca Cola.

Back then these things had cost a fortune.

Even as a child you had known that he was never able to afford one. Only way later did you realise that he must have stole some from the store.

It was just occasionally, but you felt guilty to know that he had turned to criminal behaviour only to make your day as a child.

It was something you both loved and resented him for deeply.

"You know, Alejandro, my brother always saw me as this weak, fragile kid...", you stood up and shoved both hands into the pockets of your pants. "He joined the army because he wanted to protect me. As a big brother he thought that was his job. But over the time he was gone I was pushed into cold water. He protected me when he was home. He loved me when he was home. But whenever he was out making money I took the entire hate out mother had to hand out. Her words, her stares, even her belt. As soon as he was gone, with his new family, I grew up fast."

"It's not his fault.", Alejandro shook his head.

You shrugged, a bitter grin on your face.

"No, it's not. But what is his fault is that he belittles me. I'm a grown ass adult. I made it further than him, I'm a Lieutenant. I'm in the feckin' special forces, for bloody Jesus' sake!", you had to take a deep breath to keep yourself from screaming. "And yet he still thinks he needs to put a babysitter on my case. He always needs to worry. I do a damn good job. And he always nags me about it. Because he's my bloody big brother."