Thirty-Eight

You crouched tensely in the dark, gun at the ready, while your eyes watched the narcos through the binoculars.

One of them had positioned himself a little further away from the gate towards the vehicles.

His head kept moving and his hand reached into his back to check if the gun was still there. He was nervous.

You frowned sceptically.

What reason did a narco have to be nervous on his own turf?

"Valeria is here.", Alejandro growled and confirmed the thought that lingered in the back of your mind.

Your gaze wandered over to him.

"Keep calm, amigo.", you reminded him. "We have no confirmation yet."

"His behaviour is confirmation enough."

"You are nervous as well. Could also be excitement."

"Her presence has that effect on people. Even if they're her own."

An amused snort escaped you.

You turned back to Gaz.

"Can you take him out?", you asked, shifting position with him to get a better look at the other two narcos.

They had positioned themselves at the gate. Eyes wandered through the darkness.

They had probably been sent to check why the lights had stopped working.

"I could get the one by the cars.", Gaz muttered and lay down on his stomach for stability.

"That's enough.", you pressed a button on your equipment. "Captain, Ghost, are you copying?"

There was silence for a moment.

"We're listening.", Ghost reported.

Whenever he spoke your body reacted. Maybe it was because of what he had done to you in the shower. Or maybe it was just his deep voice that shook you to the core.

A shaky breath escaped your lips.

"Get ready.", you said and turned your attention back to the two narcos who were about to open the gate. "We need to be quick."

"We can take em' out if they get past the gate.", Ghost hummed.

Your eyes jumped up to the road that led away from the gate and further onto the property, towards the house.

Even though there was no sign of more narcos within the next few feet, it was still risky to take them out without caution.

Blood on this property could have meant a war.

"You should try and get them to cross the street.", you advised him. "Try to avoid their blood on El Sin Nombres ground. Could be a declaration of war."

"We cannot put ourselves at risk.", it was Soap who suddenly had something to say.

After the argument in the car you hadn't heard from him anymore. He still used the same old method like when he had been a teenager.

The cold shoulder. Not really an effective punishment but one that always stroked you wrong.

Swallowing a bitter comment, you took a deep breath to calm the nerves before you allowed yourself to speak.

"Just get them past the gate.", you insisted. "And we can sell it off as a street death."

"We'll have loads of deaths, 100.", Alejandro reminded you.

"I know. But no need to start the party early. Keep the bodies out of sight. Gaz and I will take care of the other.", your gaze returned to Gaz and locked.

With a nod of your head you gave the command.

Holding his breath, he lay down flat and aimed for the man who stood besides one of the parked cars.

Your hand was still in the air, indicating for him to wait until it was time.

The two other men walked up to the gate.

One of the cursed in Spanish as he noticed that the digital code pat wasn't working.

He pulled out a set of keys.

Your eyebrows rose.

"See that, Alejandro?", you asked.

"Si, could be spare keys for everything around here.", he almost sounded euphoric.

"Could you be a dearie and get your hands on it? Even if it's just for the gate, it'll be a nice to have extra."

"Agreed. Ghost, tell me once the path is clear."

Ghost's deep voice hummed a sound of agreement.

Again, your attention turned back to the man waiting at the car.

You listened.

The night was so silent, it might as well could have been a bad omen.

It reminded you of the day your mother had passed. It had been rainy, cold and icy.

Just like her.

Grey skies were no uncommon thing in Scotland but that day the clouds had been particularly dark. As if the world itself had denied your mother one ray of sunshine in her life.

A heavy sigh escaped you at the thought, so heavy that for the first time you wondered if you had been too hard on her while she was alive.

The next moment you had to smile bitterly at this thought.

What a load of bullshit, you growled and gave Gaz the sign. Give Ghost three seconds.

The gate opened beneath you.

Voices grew louder for a moment, then moved away again.

"Ghost, what's the situation?", you asked.

"Almost.", he hummed. "Target in sight. Locked on."

Your haze met Gaz's.

In a silent command, you gave him the order to fire.

"Now!", you whispered.

For a moment there was dead silence.

No one spoke a single word. Not even the narcos could be hear.

Then, out of nowhere, two perfectly timed shots rang out.
Everything happened so fast that even you almost missed the opponents going down.

Blood splattered on the bonnet of a white SUV.

A dull thud filled the silence as the man fell over the back and disappeared behind the vehicle.

"Good shot.", you gave Gaz a tap on the shoulder. "Alejandro, what's your situation?"

"On the way to the key.", he confirmed. "Go ahead. I'll follow you up top."

"Roger that.", you threw your rope down the other side of the wall. "Gaz, you're on me. Captain, will you follow?"

"Negative, 100.", Price said. "Ghost and Soap are on you. I'll stay up here and keep an eye on everything."

At the thought of working with your brother again you had to shake yourself.

"If you insist...", you mumbled and dropped down to the ground.