[66] The Difference Between You and I

Start from the beginning

"...Right." Aizawa chose not to question it. His kids were strange creatures.

Dark eyes flitted back to you. "Never agree to a fight without knowing its conditions. Just because this is a spar between students doesn't mean you can act reckless."

"I see. Okay."

To Shinsou, Aizawa said, "And you– don't do this again. You should know better than to start a fight you can't win. With where you are now, you don't stand a chance."

"...I know."

You watched Shinsou attentively.

He was staring down at his closed fist. "I know that... What I don't know is just how much distance I have to cover before I can stand on equal ground with everyone else."

"Okay."

Shinsou looked up.

You were gazing at him without any sort of hostility at all. "Do you remember my offer, Shinsou?"

Wryly, Shinsou huffed through his nose. "Yeah. That you'd help me. And I shot you down over, and over, and over, remember?"

"Oi." In a rare show of anger, Kirishima glared. "Is that really how you should be talking to someone who wants to help you?"

Aizawa gestured for Kirishima to stay put. Kirishima frowned, but obediently held his tongue.

You replied to Shinsou, "Yes. I remember. However..."

In one smooth motion, you held out your hand towards Shinsou. "I would like to extend my offer once more. I am aware that my performance during the sports festival does not give my offer much weight. That is why I will show you the proof of my experience. I will prove to you that I have changed."

The gym fell completely silent.

"...Seems I'll be taking that offer." Shinsou shook your hand and the deal was sealed.

Now, you and Kirishima were inside the gym's equipment room.

"I'm seriously not feeling this Shinsou guy," huffed Kirishima. He handed you a vest. "Who does he think he is, talking to you like that?"

You slid the vest over your head. "I do not mind."

The veins on Kirishima's hands bulged angrily as he helped you with the straps. "Well, I think you should mind! The way this guy talks, it's– it's underhanded. It's not manly at all!"

"I think Shinsou is a man. I saw him in the men's restroom."

"Being manly's got nothing to do with your bits!" Kirishima bent down to attach a weight to your leg. "It's the attitude, you get me?"

You flexed your arms. "Am I manly?"

Kirishima flexed too. "Heck yeah!"

He grabbed a thick piece of rope and tied your hands behind your back. "You're one of the manliest people I know! You've gotta be manly to take on a fight in this condition."

"Thank you."

Kirishima stepped back to survey his work. "I trust Mr. Aizawa, but... is this really okay? You don't even have your helmet."

"It's okay."

"Are you sure...?"

"I am sure." Cracking your neck, you said calmly, "I won't need it."

Kirishima held open the door for you and you stepped into the light.

Shinsou couldn't believe his eyes.