[2] Melissa's Orders

You made direct eye contact with whoever stared at your metallic hands as you boarded the plane. They quickly looked away, unnerved by your eyes.

The white tee, thin grey men's cardigan, beige shorts and spruce-colored sandals you wore didn't do much to conceal your odd appearance. The inhabitants of I-Island were used to seeing crazy things, but that didn't mean they didn't have a habit of staring a little.

Finding your seat, you sat down, staring out the window as you prepared for a long flight.

Lifting off was a new experience, and so was seeing the late March sky from above the sparse clouds. The sky was a beautiful azure, and seeing everything from up here was so mesmerizing that your head didn't move an inch till the fifth hour hit.

Feeling drowsy, you turned forward, eyes shutting.

It was eight hours later when you exited Tokyo International Airport.

You scurried along within the hustle and bustle of the humans around you, your eyes flicking around at the towering city buildings and lovely cherry blossom trees. Despite it being six a.m., many people were up and walking.

For awhile, you stood directly underneath a tree, gazing up at the petals being caught by the soft breeze. Early April was the heart of cherry blossom season, so not many had bloomed just yet. It was only late March.

Although you didn't feel any emotions in particular, you did experience some basic human instincts.

Fascination. Curiosity. Hostility. Indifference.

Devotion.

From the airport, you headed to Musutafu by train.

David had arranged a small apartment for you, and you moved right in. Much of you was fascinated by the unromanized signs and unfamiliar architecture, so you wanted to explore. However, that would be going against what Melissa wanted.

"Move in first before exploring, 'kay? Head back inside after eight. And stay in crowded areas. The crime rate in Japan's a lot lower than the U.S., though, so you should be okay."

Her light, cheery voice played in your head as you moved around the little apartment. Its walls were a pale sea green while the floor was made of bamboo planks.

There were five rooms— a kitchen, bathroom, two bedrooms and a living room. You didn't ask for much from David.

Contrary to your statement that you were fine with sleeping on the floor, David had purchased a bed for you. It was a single.

In the living room was a plain brown couch and a small T.V. David knew you didn't enjoy watching T.V., but he bought you one to keep you updated on the news.

The kitchen held a stove, a sink, and a fridge. Baking was not in your skillset and you tended to wash the dishes rather than use the dishwasher anyway, so no oven nor dishwasher were bought.

You pulled out your phone (it was four a.m. when you left and now five in the afternoon P.S.T.) and called Melissa.

"Hey, [Name]! How was the flight?"

"It was strange."

"Of course you'd think that, you big hermit." She giggled as she held the phone to her ear. "It was early morning when you left and now it's early morning in Japan. Funny, huh?"

"I do not regard timezone differences as humorous. By definition, I am not a hermi—"

"So? You excited for school? It starts in a couple days for you!" Melissa chirped eagerly to interrupt you, feeling more excited about attending U.A. than you were.