[65] A Challenger Approaches

After dinner, you made a strategic retreat to your room.

The real prize was hidden inside your mini fridge.

You opened it.

Behold: the two cake cans from the exam. One from Bakugou, the other from Iida.

You took a picture of the cans and sent it to Melissa.

Then, reaching into your pocket, you pulled out a spoon. "It is dessert time."

And so you dug in.

While you were stuffing your cheeks, you weren't thinking about anything in particular. You were simply crouching on the floor like a small animal.

Your wandering eyes landed on one of the balloons All Might gave you.

The indigo skin of the balloon brought someone else to mind.

Shinsou.

It'd been quite some time since you two last spoke.

The last time, you remembered clearly, was when you encountered him in the school restroom. That was shortly before confronting some nobodies who had shit to say about Bakugou.

You popped open the second can.

I wonder what Shinsou is doing.

You hadn't given up on your mission to befriend him just yet. Lately, you'd been too busy to give Shinsou much thought, but now that you were relatively free...

You scraped the rest of the cake into your mouth and stood up.

You had a side quest to tackle.

But first, you had to properly put away everything you used.

You headed down to the kitchen. Of course, you had to use the stairs. The elevator wouldn't be fixed till Monday. You harbored absolutely zero guilt.

On the ground floor, you scurried past the living room. Some of your classmates were lounging around, chatting as they digested dinner.

You reached the kitchen.

Uraraka turned her head. She shot you an unsure smile. "Oh, hi."

She and Koda were on dish duty today.

To Uraraka's left, Koda waved.

You waved back at Koda and replied to Uraraka, "Hi."

Switching on one of the faucet heads, you held your empty can underneath.

Koda skirted around Uraraka. He tapped you to get your attention before signing, I can do it.

"It's okay." As you spoke, your hands moved at the same time. "Koda does not need to."

Koda adamantly shook his head.

Uraraka blinked at you. "Huh? You know sign language?"

You rarely ever used it outside of communicating with Koda, so you understood Uraraka's confusion. "Yes. I have been studying Japanese and American sign language. I intend to utilize both for Hero work."

This time, Uraraka smiled genuinely. "Wow... That's really admirable. So you've been practicing with Koda?"

"Yes." Your gaze flitted to Koda. "Koda is the reason I began my sign language studies."

Koda shyly twisted in place.

Uraraka laughed at Koda's reaction. "Oh, really?"

"Yes." While Koda was distracted, you rinsed the can and tossed it into the recycling bin.