━chapter 18

Chapter 18
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

REMUS ONLY HESITATED FOR A SECOND. Sirius had let him in on the fidelius keeping Grimmauld a secret back when they were still at Hogwarts. Only Remus though, because even James was not privy to the location of his brother's childhood home.

Remus remembered that night like it was yesterday. Tucked into the safety of their dorm room, he still couldn't brush off the feeling of altering bones and twisting joints after a particularly bad transformation. Just when it all became unbearable, Sirius snuck into his bed, foreign pain spells at the tip of his tongue that even Remus couldn't recognize.

"What is that?"

"French," Sirius had replied with a wiggle of his brows.

Despite the ache, Remus had smiled then. "Why do you know pain spells? In French, no less."

Sirius glanced at him, looking ashamed in a way that Remus had never seen him before.

They were only twelve. Remus' secret had only been uncovered for a few weeks. At the time, when Sirius told him about his home life, Remus believed it was because he wanted to exchange one truth for another. Now, he wondered if that was true at all.

Sirius told him about Grimmauld's location that very night, when Remus declared they should go to Dumbledore, to reassure him. He was the only other Marauder Sirius had ever told, and for a long time after the war, Remus believed the knowledge to be a curse.

Now, he couldn't be any more grateful as he watched the houses Number Eleven and Number Thirteen separate to reveal Number Twelve.

The door to the house loomed heavily like a burden. Remus knocked and waited, surprised when it opened to reveal a scowling house-elf.

If possible, the elf's mood soured even more when he recognized who Remus was. He scoffed, spitting on the floor to show his disdain.

Remus cleared his throat, plastering a smile on his face. "Sorry, but is Sirius here?" He was being polite. Remus knew his partner was here, but he was raised to be respectful. And, it was easier to get what he wanted when he was being nice.

Kreacher sneered. "Master is in the library. Master is not fit to enter the residence of the Great House of Black."

"Well. Could you let me in?"

"What says I should?"

Remus did not lose his smile. He bent down close ti the elf. "You don't need to, but I think you should. Unless you want me to call Sirius down here?"

Kreacher scowled even more. He stepped aside to let Remus in, muttering something about halfbreed beasts. Remus simply rolled his eyes and made his way up the stairs.

━━━━

Scrolls and books littered every surface of the library. Sirius was frantically flipping through a book, mounted halfway up a ladder. His face twisted, frustrated when he clearly couldn't find what he was looking for. He dropped the book on the floor, where it joined the mound of disregarded books and scrolls.

Remus crept over the seemingly unimportant parchment of documents Sirius tossed aside, making his way to the large open book on the desk.

"What is this?"

Sirius jumped, nearly falling off the ladder.

"Did I frighten you?"

"When did you get here?"

"Just now."

The morning after the Yule party, Sirius sent a patronus to Remus, informing him where he was because he needed to check something.