━chapter 3

Chapter 3
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

Adhara wasn't the only one who wore gloves at Hogwarts

Adhara wasn't the only one who wore gloves at Hogwarts. The other Aleyne kids at Hogwarts, whose hands were in the same state as Adhara's, also covered them up.

Most of these kids were in Slytherin, so those of whom who noticed concluded it was some sort of pureblood fashion statement. (Which was ironic since most of these students were muggle-borns.) The others went unnoticed enough to not raise any brows.

It was easier to just hide the marks. Not only did they not need to look at their own hands, but it also avoided unwanted questions, and this way, no one would wonder why there were so many students with similarly injured hands.

It was the same reason why Aleyne children didn't associate with each other at school. If they did have to talk, they didn't mention the orphanage at all. So whenever Adhara noticed a familiar face in the corridor, she simply ignored them and went on about with her day.

They pretended to not know each other. This way, no one would trace them back to Aleyne, no one would look at them with pity, no one would try to talk to them about that place.

(They already had to bear with Aleyne during the summer, they did not need to be reminded of it during the school year, as well.)

However, Adhara felt like this system was going to come to an end this year. Because Roisin Han sat on the stool with the Sorting Hat atop her head, but she kept stealing glances at Adhara.

"She's been there for ten minutes now."

"Not the first hatstall. Certainly won't be the last."

"Do you know her?"

"No."

"She keeps looking at you."

"You're imagining it."

Millie looked at her unimpressed.

"You don't need to tell me if you don't want to."

"There's nothing to tell."

"Uh-huh. Adhi, I may not be Mione, but I'm not an idiot."

Adhara ignored her. She tried to focus her attention elsewhere, but there was nothing else to focus on. The food hadn't appeared yet, so that wasn't an option. She didn't have anything on her either that could distract her, and so she decided to do what Millie normally did. She checked her nails.

Which was stupid because she had gloves on.

"Adhi."

"How do you know if it's me she's looking at. Maybe she is just interested in Slytherin."

"It is you, because why else would you making such an effort to ignore the sorting."

"I ignore everything."