━chapter 13

Chapter 13
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

Warning: graphic description of injury caused by child abuse and of burn marks

━━━━

THE CACOPHONY OF THE GREAT HALL WAS USUALLY DISTRACTING, USUALLY A BOTHER. It never occurred to Adhara that the ring of her own anger could ever drown out all that noise until all she saw was white.

The new article crinkled between her fingers, ripping through the middle when Millicent snatched it away to tear it further.

The action startled the Hufflepuffs, who sat close to them. Roisin backed away from the pink-haired girl.

Hermione tried to grab Millie's arms to stop her. "Mill — Millie. Millie, stop. Stop. It's fine, I'm fine."

"No, it's not — " Rip. " — fine — " Rip. " — Mione!" Millie was panting, throwing the torn bits of paper on the floor. "How can they honestly continue to publish rubbish like this and call it news?"

"Miss Bulstrode!"

Millie and Roisin both froze. When Professor Sprout got close enough to them, Roisin dunked underneath the table to switch sides. She settled herself next to Adhara, not wanting to be anywhere near the woman when she got angry.

Adhara settled a hand on the girl's arm, right at the edge of her glove. Ever since the beginning of the school year, she has wanted to keep Roisin close to her. Call it guilt or worry or whatever, but Adhara just needed to know that everyone back at Aleyne was still — well — okay, at the very least.

"But Professor!" argued Millie. Her cheeks were red from anger as she refused to back away. "They keep writing such nonsense about Hermione. How is that even allowed?"

Sprout waved it off. "Gossip magazines will write gossip, it is what they do. But that does not mean you should create a scene." She paused, sweeping wily eyes over the four girls. "At least, not this way."

Adhara arched a brow.

"But — "

"I expect this mess to be all cleaned up before you go to class?" The woman asked, but it was more of a demand than a question.

Millie relinquished. "Yes, Professor."

Sprout bent around, searching for Hermione, who was behind the Slytherin. "Miss Granger? If you could follow me, please. Professor McGonagall would like to chat."

Adhara glared as Millie started shouting again.

"Wha — why is she in trouble? Hermione didn't do anything!"

"Calm down, Miss Bulstrode. Miss Granger is in no trouble. Professor McGonagall simply wants to talk to her."

Millicent spluttered, wanting to say more, when Hermione stopped with a simple hand on her shoulder.

"I'll be fine, you guys." She turned to Adhara, as though she knew the girl was angry even though she hadn't said anything yet. "Really."