━chapter 4

Chapter 4
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

THE MOON WAS STILL HIDING BEHIND CLOUDS. Although, it wasn't bright and full anymore, allowing even less light to illuminate the night.

Bertha Jorkins walked restlessly down the streets, trying her best to appear inconspicuous but only succeeding halfway. Her black jacket may have helped to conceal her in the dark, but her enormous pointy hat, one she refused to abandon, made her stand out.

Bertha hurried, disliking being out at night so long. She clung to her wand, wrapping it underneath her coat to hide it. With heavy steps, she walked to the inn, speeding up when she felt someone follow her.

Silently, she cursed herself for choosing this place as her holiday destination, only to remember later that men were creepy in all countries. It wouldn't have made a difference had she chosen another country besides Albania. Unfortunately, going out in the dark by herself was a mistake, either way.

The footsteps behind her felt closer. Bertha somehow felt a presence right at her feet, freezing her in her spot. The stout woman slowly glanced behind, checking if the person was anywhere near her.

There was no one there. Bertha didn't see anyone, but she did hear something hiss at her, the sound slowly turning into a screech before a loud bang resonated through the empty streets.

Bertha almost jumped, but she held her breath, taking her wand out completely. The Ministry employee could feel her heart rate speed up. She turned a corner sharply, hoping to lose her stalker.

She kept her eyes behind her as she stepped into the alley. Bertha was so caught up in ensuring no one would catch her from the back she didn't notice when she stepped on something soft until it was too late. This time, the same screech made her jump.

She finally looked in front.

It was a cat. Bertha had stepped on its tail.

"Oh!" She felt relief wash over her. Bertha released a long breath. "Thank the Heavens! I thought I was a goner!"

Laughing heartedly, she shook her head as though she had been silly. Bertha looked down at the cat, which calmly sat there like it didn't have a foot on its tail.

Bertha couldn't make out the colour of its fur, the lack of light encompassing both of them in complete darkness. She could only see the silhouette of a feline.

The woman crouched down, casting lumos with her wand. Magic finally brought light to the scene, revealing an adult white cat.

There was no grime nor dirt on the animal. Neither the paws nor the ears were unclean. The milky coat was clear of filth, smoothly brushed down all over except for the neck, where a wound stuck out like a blunt nail. The colour of blood was a stark contrast with the white coat.

Bertha gasped. "Oh, your poor thing! Who did this to you?"

The cat didn't budge. Head held high, back straight, it stared right at the woman with gleaming red eyes.

Above them, the shrinking moon stayed hidden.

━━━━

Head raised high, face impassive, Adhara walked into the corridor only to come to a halt.

Jakob Gamp had a firm grip on Roisin, holding her down on her knees. Adhara watched the scene with a horrible sense of calmness, one that didn't require effort to summon anymore. One that cooled her down to her bones, making her shiver.

"Jakob Gamp."

The boy looked up, smirking as he caught sight of Adhara. His bedraggled brown hair fell over his eyes, making them only visible through his fringe.

"Adhara Black. Finally caught you."

Adhara kept silent. She glanced at the girl at his feet. Jakob had one hand on the Roisin's neck, pushing her down, while he held her hands bound together with his other one. She couldn't even look up.

Adhara clenched her fists.

"You have. So, let Roisin go."

Jakob only scoffed, squeezing Roisin's neck with more force instead.

Practiced disinterest. Unbothered, unfazed. Someone who doesn't care about what happened around her. That was the kind of image Adhara had at Aleyne. Someone who never lost her cool.

An act so effortless Adhara wondered if it was ever an act. So effortless, it made her feel like a puppet, with the way she continued the act without even thinking, a buried part of her mind pulling the strings, keeping her limbs in check.

The lights were on, and Jakob didn't bother to hold his voice back. Adhara knew all the children of Aleyne were listening to the conversation.

Some kept their bedroom doors closed, or slightly ajar, preferring to stay hidden. But others didn't care. A few doors were wide open, the occupants of the room openly watched the scene unfold in front of them. They didn't bother to hide. They knew that, if Matron were to appear, the woman's attention wouldn't be on them, but on Adhara.

And Adhara knew that too.

"What do you want, Jakob?"

Jakob shook his head. "Want? When has what we wanted ever mattered?" He laughed humourlessly, "I don't want anything. I'm just going to take everything."

When Jakob realized that Adhara wasn't going to talk back to him, he continued, his smile turning more vicious. "Who are you hiding inside your room, dear Adhara?"

No one, Adhara didn't say. Harry was long gone, and Adhara had already closed the window. She did not doubt that Yaritza had also shoved the weasels out. They should all be on their way home already.

Jakob did not seem to have gotten the message.

"Escaped the Furnace Room for almost a year, have you? How much longer do you think that's going to last."

Not much. Adhara wasn't an idiot. She knew she could not avoid the Furnace Room forever. Though, that didn't mean she wasn't going to try and delay it as much as possible.

"You and your lot go off to Hogwarts each year, leaving us unfortunate ones behind to manage the furnace. It is only fair to switch shifts once summer comes 'round, don't you think?"

Adhara remained still. She didn't take a step forward, nor one back. "I suppose. But no one needs to be in the Furnace Room. If you keep your mouth shut, like how you used to, then none of us would risk a punishment."

Jakob didn't like the sound of that. His smile dropped in an instant.

"Unfortunately, I don't find that fair. Why do we squibs have to suffer through the punishment all year, only for you witches to get away with no scratches?"

He shook his head, releasing his hold on Roisin's neck, only to grab a fistful of her hair.

Adhara heard the girl whimper in pain, but her passive look stayed on Jakob, as though it was the only thing holding him in place. The boy, however, wasn't looking in her way, eyes on the Hufflepuff he kept captive.

"It's time for the odds to even out, I think." He pulled Roisin back, yanking her hair.

Adhara almost took a step forward. "Let her go, Jakob. She didn't do anything."

Jakob's head snapped up, wild eyes surveying Adhara from head to toe. The wicked smile was back on his face, and he looked like he would burst into laughter at any time.

"Didn't do anything? Her?" Jakob grinned. "Don't you understand, Adhara? Mudbloods like her are why we are here, why your dear Yaritza is here. You may have had a muggle mother, Adhara, but you have ancient blood coursing through you. Surely, you understand?"

Adhara's brows drew close.

The boy's expression morphed in an instant. His smile turned downwards, jaw clenching as he seethed with rage. He yanked Roisin's hair. "Mudbloods like her stole our magic. They're the reason why we squibs even exist!"

Adhara blinked, taken aback. Surely, he doesn't?