━chapter 15

Chapter 15
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

ADHARA OBSERVED THE LITTLE ELF. He hopped from one stool to another, bright and happy as he worked. He was the only one who looked so cheerful.

Probably because he was one of the only ones who was free. Though, there was also Winky. Adhara found her solemn figure near the fireplace every time she visited the kitchen.

Unlike Dobby, who was glad to have left the Malfoys, Winky didn't see her newfound freedom the same way, instead moping over the Crouches still.

And for some reason, some of the other house-elves seemed to understand her.

Adhara chewed away, cutting her second slice of chocolate cake into pieces before she stuffed another piece into her mouth.

"Would Miss Adhara Black like another slice?"

Dobby stood beside her, round eyes looking at Adhara with hope. Her eyes shifted towards the elf near the fireplace for a second before landing back in Dobby.

She used a napkin to wipe her mouth. "I'm okay, thank you." Dobby's face fell, but Adhara wasn't finished. "But do you mind asking Winky? I have a feeling she hasn't eaten."

Dobby blinked in surprise. He tilted around Adhara to get a better look at his coworker. "Winky refuses to eat, madam. But not to worry! We elves don't need to eat much anyway!"

Adhara frowned. Hermione and S.P.E.W. crossed her mind. She remembered how the elves didn't want to listen when her friend brought up the idea of freedom. And then Adhara thought perhaps that not everyone had spoken their mind that day.

She looked at all the elves at work, hustling and bustling to prepare dinner for those in the Great Hall who never spared a second thought about who even cooked the food.

"Dobby, you get paid, right?"

The noise of the pots stopped. Adhara glanced to see a few of the elves looking at her.

The elf's eyes brightened. "Oh, yes, Madam! A galleon per week! Professor Dumbledore, sir, is very generous. He wanted to pay more, but I talked him down!"

Adhara's mouth pursed. "And the others? They don't want a wage?"

Silence reigned. Dobby leaned close, whispering, "They don't like the idea, Adhara Black, ma'am. Think it's shameful."

The Slytherin sat up straight. "I don't believe that."

With the number of elves in the country, she found it hard to believe that not a single one of them even thought about the idea of freedom. It was unrealistic that Dobby would be the only one.

"I think not everyone is voicing their thoughts." She scanned the kitchen, meeting eyes with an elf at the very back before they looked away.

S.P.E.W was a great idea. But sometimes, people just need a little push in the right direction. Even if it was a bit, well, unconventional.

"Dobby? May I get that slice of cake, actually?"

"Oh, yes!"

"Thank you." Adhara got off her seat and brought the plate to the fireplace. She eyed the empty bottles of alcohol, wondering how the elf even snuck them in.

Ignoring them, she placed the plate in front of the grievous elf.

Winky looked up, round eyes bright with tears.

Adhara extended a gloved hand. "Adhara Black."

Hesitantly, Winky reached out to shake it.

"The Black family and the Crouches are related, you know?"