━chapter 4

Chapter 4
━━━━━━━━ ✥ ━━━━━━━━

HE WAS SUPPOSED TO KEEP HARRY AT A DISTANCE

HE WAS SUPPOSED TO KEEP HARRY AT A DISTANCE. That was the original plan. Stay away, don't get involved, don't get attached.

But the minute his eyes landed on the boy—that untameable hair that reminded him so much of his best friend, and those eyes, so green, he wondered if Lily's truly were so vibrant. But it's been twelve years since he's last seen her and he couldn't remember. The memory becoming too old, too faded. And Harry, the perfect image of both his friends, was right there, right within his reach. Though, Remus wasn't allowed to hold on.

He couldn't hold on. Shouldn't hold on. He was a werewolf, he was too dangerous. He was in no way capable of raising a kid on his own. Remus found himself retreating back, clasping onto his own arm tightly to prevent himself from reaching out.

He couldn't. He shouldn't.

That sounds like Adhara Black, McGonagall's voice echoed in his head, and Remus came to a halt.

Another Black.

Remus Lupin was at a loss. He didn't know what to think.

He wasn't a little boy anymore. His Hogwarts years were far behind him and House rivalries even further back. No. It wasn't the girl's house colours that bothered him. He couldn't care less that Adhara Black was a Slytherin. It was her last name that unsettled him.

Remus knew he shouldn't be judging her based solely on her last name. Based on her relatives' actions, things that weren't in her control. He knew far too well how it was felt to be painted as a villain for something that wasn't his fault.

Remus was a grown adult. And this was a child. Only thirteen years old at best. She hasn't done anything. And considering what he saw on the train, the way they both clung onto each other, it didn't take a genius to see that Adhara and Harry were close.

But he, too, was once close to a Black. He, too, once trusted a Black with his dear life, and he was proven wrong to do so.

Remus couldn't help the tight feeling in his chest from growing when he saw both of them walk into the Great Hall, praying to Morgana herself that history wasn't repeating itself.

━━━━

Harry strode into the Great Hall, Adhara beside him. McGonagall had hauled them both right to the Hospital Wing the minute they got off their carriages. For the first time, they both started their year being poked and prodded by Madam Pomfrey instead of ending like that.

"Don't speak so soon, Harry. We don't know what might happen once June comes around. You could still wake up in a hospital bed." He watched her sneeze as she'd said so. It was still raining when they reached Hogsmeade Station, and they were only allowed to use impervius once on school grounds, so they were drenched by the time McGonagall came to pick them up.