34: Max

"Pearls or no pearls?" Sam holds up a necklace and drops it, showing me both options. She wanted my opinion on her fit for the gala, so we are currently on FaceTime.

"Definitely pearls, then you can match them with the earrings you packed," I say.

"It's not too much?" She clips the necklace secure around her neck.

"No. You look gorgeous; I wish I was there to see you in person. I might have you recreate this look for me when you come back home."

Did I want to be Sam's date to the gala? Absolutely I did. I almost jumped on the plane with Scott. But I know why she didn't ask.

"This is way too much work to recreate." She grabs the phone and walks into the bathroom.

"Ok. I bet that you will exceed the number of sponsors you need for your video game. If you do, you have to put that dress back on for me to see in the flesh. And if you don't, I'll give you a kiss to make you feel better."

She pauses her application of lipstick to laugh, "Sounds like a win-win situation for you."

"Kissing you? No, that's something I try to avoid," I say with sarcasm.

"Right, that's why you always bet on it then." She's putting the earrings in, using the phone camera to see what she's doing. "I heard you played well in the game today." She finishes the last touches of her makeup.

"I had to. The Bruins scouts were there."

"I thought they already asked you to train with them to see if you'd be a good fit," she says.

"They did. But if they see me play poorly in a game, they might think I have performance anxiety or something and change their minds."

"They'd be stupid to pass you up. You're one of the best up and coming hockey goalies." I like having Sam in my corner. When I'm nervous, her confidence in me always makes things better.

Shaking my head, I watch as she sets up her phone on the dresser, "Alright, let's see the final fit."

Backing away from the phone so I can see all of her, she does a little twirl. "Thoughts?"

"I don't think it's fair," I say in all seriousness.

"What?" I watch her face morph with confusion.

"It's not fair. All the sponsors will naturally flock to you because you'll be the prettiest person in the room."

Confusion is switched to a smile. "Was straightening my hair a good choice? Maybe I should've curled it."

"Is Sam Drawings nervous?"

"Maybe a little," she admits.

"You're gonna kill it Grumps. And you look fucking radiant. If anyone makes you think otherwise, they're full of shit."

"Technically, everyone's full of shit. Pooping is a natural occurrence."

"Girls don't poop. I refuse to believe it."

"Sammy, we have to be there 30 minutes early, let's get a move on!" I hear Del's voice in the background.

"Duty calls. Wish me luck?"

"You don't need luck. They're going to love you Sam. Everyone who meets you does. Call me when it's over?"

~

My phone dings as the team waits to board the airplane back home.

Opening the text from Scott, I see a picture of him and Sam smiling at the camera. The message attached says, 'jealous?"

Scott was close to dragging me to New York with him. If there's anyone who wants Sam and I to get together besides the two of us, it's Prescott Bridges.

But I respect Sam's boundaries. She's not ready, and I don't mind waiting.

I text back.

Me to Cap: Very. How's she doing?

Sam Drawings doesn't get nervous often. I know she has nothing to worry about, but I've been around the benefit type people.

Our hockey team has lots of rich and powerful people who sponsor us. If we want to keep their money rolling in, we have to charm them.

It's a hard task when you come from a low/middle class home.

They treat me like this underdog who has battled many hardships to get to where I am now. That my success is a miracle, because how could someone with my socioeconomic background get to where I am?

Did I work hard to get here? Of course I did. I worked my ass off. Instead of hanging out with friends on the weekend, I was in in the rink.

My parents saved to get me training and gear and I wouldn't let that go to waste. I always knew I'd make something of myself through hockey.

And I am successful because of that mindset.

That's not to say that money wouldn't help. It would've, but not having money didn't stop me from getting what I wanted. That's something that I had to overcome: thinking I could never be who I wanted to be because of my upbringings.

It's all bullshit. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. You put your mind to it and you can do whatever the fuck you want.

My thoughts are interrupted the sound of my phone.

Cap to me: You know Sam, she's a charmer. They already have more than enough sponsors.

"Fuck yeah!" I exclaim.

My teammates look my way with judgmental looks. "Please do share with the class," Hinders says.

"Sam and Del got all the sponsors for their video game," I brag about them. That's right. I'm friends with video game creators.

"That was this weekend?" Davies asks. "Good for them, they deserve it."

"I knew Deli and Sammy could do it! My two favorite sandwich named nerds!" Webbs pitches in.

Most of the team have come to love both Del and Sam. Even the coaches light up at the mention of their accomplishment.

When my phone rings for the third time, I expect it to be Scott.

I'm pleasantly surprised with a Facetime call from Sam.

"Hey superstar. I'm looking forward to seeing you get all dressed up for me. I want the whole thing too. Red lip, pearls, heels."

"Scott got to you already then?" Her happiness is radiating through the screen and filling my own body with excitement for her.

"Yeah. He sent me a picture of the two of you to make me jealous."

"Well, did it work? Were you jealous?"

"How could I not be? You're a fucking goddess."

"Flight 3103, Oregon to Massachusetts, now boarding," I hear over the intercom.

"My plane's boarding. I want all the details when you get back tomorrow. What time do you guys land again?" I told Sam that I'd pick up her, Del and Scott from the airport.

"9:20 a.m. If there are any delays, I'll let you know. Please text me when you land so I know you got home safe." I love that she cares about me.

"I will. See you tomorrow, Sammy."