Chapter 18

8 Years Ago

Jimin's eyes fluttered open at the continuous noises coming from his window.

He glanced over at the digital clock next to a classic analog one, 23:58.

It was his father's idea to place the two clocks side by side so that Jimin can learn to read the time without any problem.

He looked towards the window from his bed, partially expecting to see a ghost after being woken up at such an ungodly hour, but there was nothing.

Eomma and Appa said they'll be back in the morning, leaving him alone with two maids downstairs.

He shrugged it off after assuming it was the rustling of tree branches which occasionally hit his window.

It was early october after all, chilly and windy.

Jimin shivered and tucked his freezing cold feet under his warm fluffy blanket.

He was slowly dozing off into slumber until the tapping became more evident.

He huffed and climbed off the bed with his blanket still wrapped around his small body.

He walked over to the window which was situated slightly higher than him leading him to stand on his tippy toes to look outside.

He looked around to find all of the trees in his backyard to be completely still.

He was about to go back after one final look until—

"BOO!"

He shrieked before quickly covering his mouth after recognizing the boxy smile grinning at him on the other side.

He secretly thanked whatever work his parents had which made them stay out this late.

He hoped the maids don't have special hearing skills like the superheroes do.

He quickly unlocked the window and slid it up, pulling the little culprit for ruining his sleep inside.

''Taetae! Why are you here so late at night? And why were you tapping at my window? How did you even climb up so high!? Why didn't you enter through the door?''

Jimin bombarded the younger with questions while closing and locking the window.

Taehyung just kept on smiling goofily at him the whole time.

''Taetae—yah! Are you even listening to me?''

Jimin pouted with his hands on his hips.

Taehyung seemed to pay attention after seeing Jimin's cute little pout.

''I'm here to give you this.''

He reached reached his hand out, which was behind his back the whole time, towards Jimin with a wide grin.

It was a small plastic bag which was filled with water.

Upon closer look, Jimin realised that there was a baby fish floating inside.

''Happy Birthday, Jiminie.''