Chapter 77

-

"Happy two months, baby girl." I mumbled as I placed my sleeping Magnolia down in her bassinet.

"I'm glad you're staying." Rick told me as he removed his watch from his wrist.

"I'm not going to sleep a wink tonight." I stated, standing over the bassinet.

It's our first night out of the hospital and my nerves are everywhere.

"Yes you are. I'll stay up." He replied, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

"Can we talk about something?" I asked, turning to face him.

"Of course." He replied, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Would you come with us if I decide to go back to Hilltop?" I inquired, hoping he wouldn't hesitate.

"You want to go to Hilltop?" He questioned.

"All I can think about is Easton attacking again. They didn't get what they wanted, they'll be back. It's just a matter of when. I don't feel safe here." I explained.

"Hilltop isn't safe, either. You don't have security, you don't have a hospital, you don't have—"

"So, no? You won't come with us?" I asked, feeling the threat of tears.

I knew his answer before I even asked.

"Carl and Judith... they love it here. They have school, hobbies, sports, friends—"

"No, Rick, you love it here. And that's okay, I understand, but I'm putting our daughter first. I'm putting her safety first instead of my desires." I stated.

"I do put her first. She's my world; so are you, Carl, and Judith. If I felt we were unsafe here, I'd leave right now. White Oak has a strong military, we have military equipment, we've doubled down on security and no one that could harm us is getting in." He explained.

"They did last time." I replied.

"That was last time." He replied.

"You love Lana." I stated, stepping away from him.

"Jessica, what the fuck is going through your head?" Rick asked, stepping forward.

"You're doing what you always do and you're thinking with the wrong damn head. I'm not stupid, Rick. The day you saved her, the nights you left my hospital room and came back an hour later—"

"Jessica, please. Listen to yourself. Who's putting this in your head?" He asked.

"We're leaving tomorrow morning. You can come with us if you want. If you don't, that's fine too." I snapped before sitting down in our bed.

"Jess, please. Stop." He ordered as he sat down beside me.

"Tell me you didn't visit Lana in the hospital." I stated, looking into his eyes.

"I didn't visit her." He replied, looking into my eyes.

I studied them, trying to decipher if he was lying to me or not.

Damn.

"What's this all about, Jess?" Rick questioned, gripping my arms.

"I just don't feel safe here. I feel it in my gut, Rick." I muttered as I placed my head in my hands.

"Okay. We'll go to Hilltop." He replied, his voice low.

"You're really gonna give your job and everything up here?" I asked, looking at him.

"If it comes between us, I'll give anything up." He stated.

I glanced to the bedsheet over my lap, feeling guilty for giving him an ultimatum.