Chapter 15

-

I sat numbly by myself after hearing about the news of Eugene lying about Washington. I gazed into the fire, letting the heat radiate onto me as I pulled my jacket closer around me.

I glanced over to Maggie who was still in a state of shock over her sister, Beth. I shook my head, annoyed by how things turned out, and looked down at my boots. Maggie stood up and walked inside the small house we were staying in until morning.

"Get some rest, you look exhausted. We'll watch things out here." Rick stated, standing beside me.

"I was basically asleep for three days." I replied, glancing up at him before scooting over so he could sit down.

"Found this in the road where you and Beth were that night," He replied, his elbow hitting my arm as he reached into his coat pocket. "I believe it's yours."

"I thought it was gone." I mumbled, taking my 45 Smith & Wesson handgun from his hand.

"My Papaw gave me this for my twenty-first birthday. He said he wanted me protected for when he couldn't be there to protect me." I explained. I looked over the sentimental gift in my hand before pushing it into the holster around my thigh.

"Nice gift." He stated.

"A gift-card would've been just as nice." I joked. I smiled to myself, hearing him chuckle after my "joke."

"I'm joking. This thing has saved my life more times than I can count. Thank you for keeping it safe for me." I told Rick as I briefly turned my head to look at him.

"No problem." He replied.

"I hate things happened the way they did with Beth. I hate it so bad." I stated, looking back to the fire.

"So do I." He replied, putting his hands in his coat pockets.

"And I hate that Eugene lied. Not like I was surprised, though." I scoffed.

"Yeah." He muttered.

"Rick, can I talk to you?" Noah asked, approaching us.

"What is it?" Rick asked.

"You don't have to leave, Jess. I can talk to you too." Noah stated.

"Please tell me you have good news." I replied.

"Beth.. was going to come with me when we got out of the hospital to my family's community." Noah told us.

"Where is it?" I inquired.

"It's a secure community with walls, and homes for about twenty people. Just outside of Richmond. About five-hundred-and-twenty miles from here." Noah answered.

My eyes widened at his answer and I looked to Rick who was thinking it over in his head.

"That's a long trip." I stated.

"It is, but if it works out it's the last long trip we have to make." Rick replied, our eyes meeting.

"We won't know for sure unless we go and see." I replied, remembering my reasoning for supporting Eugene even though that fell through.