chapter 33

y/n's pov:

when i woke up a few hours later, beside me the bed was empty. i stretched my arms above my head, glanced around the room quickly for any sign of Mattheo. none. i didn't dwell on it, i don't even know if i wanted to wake up with him there anyway. i lay back down, pulling the duvet up to my chin and stretching out over the whole bed.

no matter how hard i tried i couldn't get back to sleep. then a piece of paper on my bedside table caught my attention. i reached over and picked it up, my eye's barely even awake.

morning, come to the common room!!! the note read.

i frowned, suspiciously to myself, as i let the paper fall onto the floor. in no rush at all, i pulled on a t-shirt and some underwear. the air was warmer than usual. there was a warm light shining through into the stairway. perhaps he's set something on fire. i wouldn't put it past him.

i stepped into the common room, rubbing my eyes as they adjusted to the overwhelming, sudden light. then they focused.

the fire was lit, and the radio playing a soft jazz in the background. there were lights hung around the room, hung over paintings and windows and anything that'd hold it up. there were candles floating in various empty places of the room, casting small shadows onto the floor. in the furthest corner of the room, no longer an empty space, but instead now there was a huge tree, covered in green and silver tinsel with more lights and baubles hung from the branches.

the around the corner turned Mattheo, a box full of ornaments in his arms. he was shirtless and wearing black sweatpants. he jumped slightly when he looked up at me. "merlin, there you are. i didn't want to wake you but i couldn't sleep" he shrugged, gesturing to the tree, "you like?"

i scoffed, in complete awe of it all, "mhm" i nodded, "i love."

"good" he nodded, "i usually do this earlier but i haven't been in a Christmas mood until now."

he placed the box down on the floor, and buried his hands in his pockets. "usually the extent of my Christmas decorations include a plant that i put a tiny plastic star on top of and a 'Christmas scented' candle, which really just smelt like gingerbread" i shrugged, laying down across the sofa, staring up at the lights, "but this is good too"

"good" he laughed, sitting on the far end of the sofa i was laying across.

my eyes finally focused on him instead of everything else, i sat up, climbing onto his lap. his head fell back against the sofa, his hands went straight onto my thighs and he let out a small sigh.

"what's up?" i whispered, brushing my thumb over a small scar on his cheek.

he shook his head slowly, "nothing" he said in a way that sort of really said, something was up but we shouldn't talk about it right now.

as much as this made me want to know, i also couldn't bring myself to risk ruining this right now. "okay" i whispered, pressing my lips to his, soft at first but quickly growing more passionate. my hands slid up into his hair, while his right hand pulled me closer by my cheek and his left gripped tightly onto my thigh. it was one of those kisses that was both full of tension and passion, but at the same time with no ulterior motives. not leading to sex. not to make anyone jealous. not to prove a point. just two people caught up in the feeling of being with each other after so long apart.

"wait" i sighed, breaking the kiss to catch my breath. "what time is it?"

he glanced behind me at a clock, "just past 9." he whispered, also out of breath.

"sooo do you want to get drunk?" i whispered, kissing him again. gently. this time possibly with a little more of an ulterior motive.

"mhm" he nodded, without breaking the kiss.