chapter 29

y/n's pov:

"wow that was crazy" talía sighed collapsing onto her bed, "what the hell was that?" she asked, turning to me.

"how would i know" i shrugged, my eyes fixed on the ceiling. a few seconds later theo came in closing the door behind him and taking a seat at the end of my bed as if everything was normal. i know theo didn't deserve to have been beaten up but i did know why it happened and honestly part of me thinks mattheo had every right to be so angry.

"dude, what the hell was that?" blaise frowned.

"what? he's a prick" he frowned looking at each of us, "you lot didn't get beaten up by him so you don't get it." he paused, "y/n is probably the only one who gets how much of a dick he is." he turned to me, in hopes i'll defend him.

i didn't know what to say. i think he suck and he is a dick. but i get it. i don't blame him, he's had a shitty life, and theo isn't exactly innocent. "in his defence he had a reason" i shrugged.

"are you kidding?" he frowned, taken aback, "why are you defending him, i mean come on out if everyone you should respect yourself enough to admit he's an asshole."

"screw you theo" i laughed, "i get what he did was wrong but it was far from undeserved, as far as i've seen he's done nothing but try and stay away from you and all you do is talk about him like he's evil." i snapped, "so don't pretend like he's the only one being a prick right now."

talía was just watching in admiration as this all happened, while blaise sat there with his eyes wide and lips pressed tightly shut.

once i was done speaking, theo just gently shook his head and scoffed, mumbling "whatever" under his breath and leaving.

"that was iconic" talía grinned as soon as the door closed behind him, "seriously i wanna be you when i grow up"

blaise frowned at her, "i thought you were done growing"

"what?!" she frowned, "i hope not, i want to be like 5"10, so i can be a model."

"you're 16 and 5"2, good luck with that" blaise said with a laugh.

the whole time this was happening the only thing i could think about was mattheo. not in any specific way, i hated him don't get me wrong but i also felt this need to go and find him and tell him theo is an idiot and everyone else is an idiot and he's going to be okay. but i hate him. so i'm not going to.

for the rest of the term everything was okay, theo avoided us and i think mattheo stopped going to classes again.

our last lesson was potions and everyone was so excited to leave that they payed no attention to snape, who tried none the less to teach us how to extract the healing DNA from a phoenix feather.

finally the class was over but i was called to the front of the room while everyone else rushed out of the room. "miss lestrange, before you leave for the holidays please deliver these textbooks to mr riddle along with a copy of your notes."

"oh mattheo and i aren't exactly- never mind, yes i'll get them to him" i nodded, taking the books from him, "have a nice christmas sir" i nodded before closing the door behind me.

the corridor was busy, filled with kids running around singing christmas songs and planning things to do. i pushed through them all, making my way to the Slytherin dorms and up to mattheo's.

i tapped lightly in the door, since my hands were full. no answer. "mattheo it's y/n, open the door" i called out, knocking again.

i heard a muffled thud from inside the room and then the door swung open. he looked so tired, and possibly very high or drunk or both.

"y/n, hey did you wanna come in?" he asked, leaning on the door frame.

"no thanks, i just came to drop of some books snape told me to give you, plus some notes but i'll sort them out and bring them round tomorrow afternoon" i shrugged dropping the books into his arms with a thud.

"tomorrow? i thought the train left really early tomorrow morning" he frowned, tossing the books onto his bed without taking his eyes of me.

"yeah it does but i'm staying here over christmas, family christmas's aren't exactly my thing" i nodded.

"right mine neither" he nodded back with a small pathetic attempt at a laugh.

"yeah" i smiled, finally looking into his eyes for a second before snapping them back to the ground. "right well i'll see you tomorrow then" i nodded taking a step back.

"yeah okay" he nodded, swallowing a lump in his throat.

"bye"

"bye."

i had forgotten how different any conversation felt with him. ugh what am i saying? he sucks and i hate him.

when i got back to my dorm talia was sat on the floor in front of a half filled suitcase with the floor covered in clothes. "thank god you're here, help me please" she pleaded.

"okay" i laughed, kneeling down opposite her and helping fold clothes into the bag.

"so what did snape want?" she asked, laying back on the cold wooden floor.

"just for me to give mattheo some books and my notes for the stuff he's missed" i shrugged. she sat up immediately, giving me a suspicious look. "what?" i frowned.

"nothing, it's just y'know isn't that how you two ended up hooking up the first time, plus it's christmas everything is all romantic" she grinned raising her eyebrows at me.

"gross, and no this is completely different to that." i frowned back.

"okay fine but you have to write to me as soon as anything does"

"i already said i'd write to you" i laughed.

"yeah i know" she groaned, rolling her eyes, "i still think you should just spend christmas with me, that way i can protect you from your bad taste in men"

"i already told you i'm not a big christmas person, i'd rather stay here to be honest anyway" i shrugged.

"i know that's weird. you're a weird person for that" she frowned.

"whatever" i mumbled, zipping up her bag and crawling into my bed, "also do me a favour say good bye to me before you go to sleep because if you force me up so early to see you off that may be it for us."

"fine. but only because it's christmas" she grinned, crawling into bed with me and squeezing her arms around me.