[38] Can You Die Today?

Start from the beginning

"But there are also English speakers in Japan."

"I did not consider that."

Your responses were so methodical.

Trying not to drop his already loose smile, David briefly turned his cheek.

How Melissa could still smile at you so brightly he didn't know. If anything, she was the one who missed you most.

"[Name]."

"Yes?"

David pursed his lips. "Do...do you remember anything? Have you recalled anything new?"

"No." Your response was instant.

It was the truth. Even after all the reminders, you remembered nothing of the years before your coma.

"...I see."

Inky eyes followed as David got up from his seat.

Gripping the glass sliding door, he beckoned you without looking. "You know the big plan I mentioned earlier? You'll need a health check-up first. Come."

"Yes."

You were sitting in a check-up room at the hospital now. The hospital was amazing to people who'd never seen it--robots went around doing menial tasks and technology buzzed and whirred from every corner.

But you weren't impressed, of course. If your classmates could see how unfazed you were, they'd yell at you.

"Hello, Dr. Shield, [Name]." A kind-looking nurse came in with a clipboard in hand.

You'd have to get used to people referring to you by first name here. You bowed your head. "Hello."

She smiled at you and then exchanged a few words with David, who was sitting in one of the chairs. You were sitting on a separate stool by the examination bed.

The nurse gestured for you to move to the bed and you did so. Smiling again, she said, "I'm Nurse Imane. Will you remove your right prosthetic leg for me, [Name]?"

"Yes."

With a couple clicks and twists, you removed it and set it aside. The end of the stub was visibly dark compared to the rest of your thigh. Nurse Imane didn't flinch at all but David had to look away.

She looked at it carefully. "Do I have your permission to touch it?"

"Yes."

With gentle hands, Imane lifted your thigh to get a better look at the stub. "Have you experienced any low pain or persistent aching in your legs lately? Any pain at all?"

You thought about it. "I have not experienced any leg pain outside of school activities."

"I see." As she wrote that down on her clipboard, Imane informed you, "The reason why I asked is because you may experience growing pains. Males generally don't stop growing for some while, so you'll probably experience pain later."

"Growing hurts?"

"Yes. Females experience growing pains as well, but we stop growing much earlier."

"Have you stopped growing?" you asked her. "Do you experience the pain?"

Imane laughed as David pushed down a smile. "Yes, I've stopped growing. I stopped feeling growing pains about 20 years ago."

You nodded attentively. "I see."

The nurse turned to David with a chuckle. "He's a curious boy, isn't he?"