Parting Ways

"You really aren't pulling our leg are you. But, it's so hard to wrap my head around that it almost doesn't sound real," Jordan mumbled after a moment of whispering amongst everyone in the room.

"Actually, you might not know this since it was way before you joined us, but we had a crew member that could talk to them once before. He was experienced by the time he joined us, but I do remember him saying that when it first started to happen it wasn't consistent. As he talked to them more and more it grew stronger.

So if this was your first time, I can see how it would be hard to talk about or understand. However, next time just tell us this crap right off the bat. You worried the hell out of all of us. We actually thought you might have a death wish or something," Valis said.I apologized and bowed politely towards all of them.

"I'm sorry again, I just - I didn't want to leave without telling you what happened. Now that I know this I'll definitely be more careful from now on," I said.

"Oh right, I forgot you're leaving us tomorrow. That sucks, I just got used to having you on board," Jordan surprised me by saying. The others agreed and I felt my heart swell up with emotions. I really have become part of the crew haven't I, but I'll actually be sad to leave them all. They've really helped me grow a lot and accepted me as I am.

"I promise, I promise I'll be back someday. And when I see you again I'll be stronger," I said feeling tears start to well up, I did my best to hold them back. I can't cry, not now in front of all my crew mates and friends.

"Idiot, Of course you'll be back. We'll track you down if we gotta. We'll also help you find your father and send you letters if we find anything. You just stay safe," Lana said and I saw tears streaming down her face.

Everyone else looked at her surprised, but I just nodded and thanked her. I wasn't just thanking her for her help or her kindness, but also for being my friend and taking me under her wing. I didn't say that of course, but I'm sure she knows.

Later, after we all had dinner and everyone got back to work I headed to my room. We should be arriving to town by morning so I'd better pack my things. Once done I laid on my cot and sighed. I will miss them, but there is something I must do.

Could I travel with them and ask around whenever we land? Sure, but I doubt I'd find him that way. Dad hates Dragoniers so he probably would avoid Dragonier towns as much as possible. So my best bet would be to travel on land and search the towns that don't let Dragoniers stop in them.

A knock came at my sliding door and as I sat up to open it, it slid open from the outside. Lana stood there her eyes and face red. She's really been crying I guess.

"Lana? What's wrong, I didn't make you cry like that did I? I'm so sorry," I mumbled as I tried to figure out what to say to cheer her up.

"No, you didn't do anything wrong. I'm just - I'm going to miss you is all and well I knew you were leaving soon, but I -. This is dumb, I should go," she rambled and cut her self off.

"Wait, don't go. You're my closet friend and if something is bothering you I will listen," I said stopping her from running off. She gave in and sat down on my bed next to me after closing my door.

"I guess, I knew you were going to leave soon, but you're the only person I've talked to so comfortably in a long time and I guess a part of me didn't want to accept it," she mumbled.

"I see. I'm sorry you're hurting, but like I said earlier I will be back. It's not good bye forever, It's just a good bye for now. Besides, you promised to write me remember?" I said trying to tease her a little to cheer her up. She nodded and, surprising me, turned and leaned into my chest. I felt her tears and sighed gently hugging her. Man is she really a couple years older than me? She seems kind of like a child right now.