Issues On Board

As we were all eating another big gust of wind hit us. Everyone easily lifted their trays without blinking an eye. I also managed to do the same. Though my soup did spill a little. Smiling Mitch handed me a napkin and I cleaned it up.

"What a cluts, but I guess it can't be helped. You are a total noob," Jordan said. What is his problem with me?

"Jordan, you don't have to be such a jerk. I think it could've been a lot worse, he did pretty well with it. No one gets it right on the first try. I know my tray went flying off the end of the table and spilled all over Mitch when I first joined and I had been on a ship many times before," Aria said. Mitch nodded and laughed at that.

"I got super mad at you back then too, but now it's just a funny memory," he said.

"I'm used to doing odd jobs around the town and that included babysitting. The kids sometimes were rowdy and would bump the table or flat out knock it over, so I guess that just came in handy," I said and shrugged. It really wasn't as big a deal as Jordan and the others made it seem, It was just instinct. Once we were done eating I did what everyone else did and handed my tray to Lana. She thanked me and I caught up to Mitch.

He nodded and then led me to my quarters. It was also really small, like a walk in closet. The bed took up the whole space and there were a few shelves to store your things on and the door was a simple sliding door. It wasn't much but it was fine with me.

Mitch explained that all regular ships were designed this way to keep the crew from slacking off and so it wouldn't be too comfortable to want stay in bed all day. He also said they didn't want the crew to have a lot of stuff so they can pack up quickly if they had to switch vehicles. That made sense, If they gave big rooms and comfy beds crew members might over sleep or make them not want to go to work. Big rooms also meant more storage so it would entice people to bring more stuff.

"I'll get you a blanket and some pillows. You can unpack your backpack while you wait. Finally get that weight off your back" he said and I nodded before he walked down the narrow hall .

I had packed to make my journey on foot so I had quite a bit of extra things. I managed to put most of it on the shelves and just tucked my backpack into the corner with all my camping gear in it. Mitch came back and nodded handing me the blanket and pillows.

"Thats a picture of your parents and you isn't it?" Mitch asked motioning to the picture on the shelf

"Yeah it is, Dad didn't talk about her much but after he disappeared I found it tucked away in one of his drawers. I also carry the most recent picture of him, of course, so I can ask people if they've seen him," I said.

"Well try to get some rest, you'll have a busy day tomorrow. There isn't much else to do today," he said and headed off again. Sighing I shrugged and laid down after closing my door. I managed to fall asleep, though it was hard with the constant shifting and swaying of the ship.

In the early morning a loud alarm woke me from my sleep and I panicked at first. I had forgotten where I was for a brief moment and relaxed a little when I remembered that I was on the Dragonier ship. So none of that had been a dream, I really am on a journey to find my Dad, finally.

I slid my door open and got up from my bed. After stretching I looked around. That alarm was still going and I wondered what was going on. After a minute more the alarm stopped and Mitch came to find me.

"Good you're up. That was the morning alarm to get everyone out of bed. Lets go get breakfast and I can explain what you'll be doing today," he said. Kind of a rude way to wake people up. A good knock on my door would've been fine for me, bit I guess not everyone is like that. I sighed and nodded, following him to the Mess Hall.