Chapter 8

Optimus kept driving somewhere and we were in the middle of nowhere. Tessa kept sobbing in the backseat and i leaned to my hands.

"Lucas, we just left him? " Tess eventually said.

"He's gone." Cade tried to comfort Tess.

"There was nothing we could do." I murmured. I didn't want to be rude but the facts needed to be said. Optimus drove on the abandoned Gas station and stopped there. We opened the doors and we climbed down. I was the last one who jumped down and right after that Optimus transformed and he punched the ground. I crossed my arms over my chest and i rubbed my temples.

"My deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend. Stay here till i'm sure we weren't followed. We're all targets now." Optimus said and transformed back to his altmode and drove away. Now i rubbed my eyes and i sighed 'cause i didn't want any of these civilians to me included to this.

"So we're hiding out now? That's the plan? We're taking orders from a truck?" Shane asked.

"Well, you got a better idea?" Cade asked.

"Sorry i didn't want any of you to be included this. I only needed to fix Optimus and get away but some people were after money and made a little call to the government." I said and i looked all of them.

"Let's just wait Optimus and we can handle this calmly." Cade said.

"No, you will leave this behind and i will focus what i was doing." I said and walked closer to Cade.

"So we are here because of you?" Shane asked.

"You shut up." I pointed at Shane and i walked past of them towards the Gas station.

"Hey, move away from her, kid. Don't... Keep your hands off her. All right? No." I heard Cade talk to Shane. Cade pulled Tess with him and they were following me. I went to sit inside and i tried to think any possible things i could do so the situation could change. After few minutes Shane, Tess and Cade were too sitting here with me and there was awkward silence between all of us. I crossed my arms again over my chest and i looked all of them.

"Well, the bright side, you guys met." Tess said while sitting on top of the counter and lighting the lights on and off. Cade wasn't happy and he kept starring at Shane.

"Where's he from?" Cade asked.

"I told you, he's a driver from Texas." Tess answered.

"Texas?" Cade sounded confused.

"Where, Dublin, Texas? Shamrock, Texas? So why does he sound like a leprechaun?" Cade asked and that made me smile a little bit.

"You'd get your ass kicked in Ireland for saying that." Shane answered to Cade. I scoffed.

"Well, we're not in Ireland, Lucky Charms. We're in Texas. And so he drives? What do you mean, he drives? Like, for living?" Cade asked from Tess.

"Yeah. At least he makes a living." Tess spitted.

"Thank you." Cade said to Tess.

"Ya'll could you just stop." I said.

"Look, i race rally cars. One driver. One navigator. Her." Shane started.

"Navigator? Rally cars?" I asked.

"Yeah, usually you need a navigator for driving." Shane said.

"Well i don't. My cars drive by themselves." I smiled to Shane.

Shane looked at me raising his eyebrow and then back to Cade.

"I just got picked up by Red Bull. And just so you know, my life savings was in that car back there." Shane said and placed both of his hands towards the table.

"This isn't happening." Cade murmured.

"Oh, it definitely is." Shane answered and then there was a long silence again. Cade then stood up and walked towards Shane.

"How old are you?" Cade asked.

"20." Shane answered.

"What?!" I almost yelled.

"She's a 17 year old girl. So we can work this two ways. One, i punch you right in the mouth and you call the police on me or two, i just call the cops on you because this is illegal. She's a minor. " Cade pointed Tess.

"We're protected by the Romeo and Juliet laws." Shane said back to Cade.

I scoffed and i started to laugh.

"We dated for a little while i was a sophomore, and he was a senior. It's fine." Tess said.

"No, it't not fine." Cade said.

"We've got a preexisting juvinile foundational relantionship. Statute 2705-3." Shane said and showed some card to Cade.

"What?" Cade asked.

"Texas statute? That a real law?" Cade asked.

"Yep." Shane agreed.

After all i couldn't say much because i was in love with a Transformer so i kept my mouth shut.

"Romeo and Juliet, huh?" Cade asked.

"You know how those two ended up?" Cade asked next.

"In love." Tess said.

"Dead. Do your parents know about this? Is your dad okay with you dating a 17 year old girl?" Cade asked from Shane.

"He took off when i was five, but if i ever bump into him, i'll ask him." Shane was being a smart ass.

"You know, Tessa, i trusted you." Cade walked towards Tess.

"To what? Never have fun? Take a risk, be a normal teenager, like you?" Tess asked.

I stood up and walked closer to the counter.

"You do know that you're a child still? He's your dad who protects you." I said to Tess.

"What do you know about anything." Tess said.

"I lived in the middle of father figures." I commented.

"Excatly! I'm your father, okay? And i've been busting my ass to take care of you." Cade raised his voice.

"Is that what you were doing when you brought home the truck? All you had to do was report it, and now Lucas is dead. And my life is over, thank you." Tess said.

"Hey! Look what happened when someone reported about him... He's dead by his own mistake. Things could be much worse right now. " I said because in my ear it sounded like she blaimed Optimus from this.

"You've taken real good care of me." Tess said and then walked outside.

We all sighed. I looked at Cade and he didn't look happy. I placed my hand on his shoulder.

"Don't worry. You're a very good dad." I murmured to him. He gave me a soft smile but i don't think that it helped much.

*

It was getting darked and chillier outside. Cade made a bed to Tess and she was already asleep. Shane was sitting on a counter but he was quiet. Cade was standing on the doorway looking outside. I was walking next to the gas station and i tried to clear my head.