30: War

Time is ticking.

The tick-tock sound blares inside Lily's head, like an alarming deadline. It claws at her insides, screaming at her that the time is slipping, yet she can't do anything about it.

She needs to get him back.

But where is he?

Lily sits on the throne in the hall, her gown falling to her feet. A tired sigh escapes her as she rubs her red-rimmed eyes. Exhaustion is taking a toll on her. It has already been 3 weeks since Taehyung's disappearance and he has still not been found. The news has spread like wildfire, everyone in all the realms mulling over the disappearance of the King of Hell. Some have even been wondering if the portal in Devil peak has opened once again and the King has mayhaps gone for the battle of evil again.

"After all, Kim Taehyung is extremely ambitious and greedy for more powers. He must have gone for the battle of evil once again---"

Suffice it to say, she has lost every night of her sleep. Sleep doesn't come to her, always wondering where Taehyung is and if he is even fine or not.

The throne room is empty at this hour of the night. The silence is daunting, mocking her and she wants nothing but for Taehyung to come back to her.

Hurried footsteps echo in the silent throne room and Lily sits up, alert. Jimin appears in front of her view followed by a messenger whose face is pale and panicked.

Jimin is also evidently panicked, more disoriented than she has ever seen him.

"A messenger from heaven has arrived, Your Majesty." Jimin addresses her.

Her eyes get drawn to the person behind Jimin, who is unmistakably a messenger from the heavens.

"Speak," She commands.

The messenger bows. "Apologies for interrupting the Queen at this late hour. Your Majesty, I have been sent here by the Emperor and the Eighth Prince, His Highness, Aiden. The heavens are in peril right now, Your Majesty."

"What do you mean?"

"The reason is no one other than your husband." The messenger says. A sharp flare of anger immediately runs up her spine. She can't help it, can't help the need to burn something when Taehyung is poorly addressed by anyone. She tames down the anger, listening to his words.

"Lately, angels have been disappearing. The Emperor had us investigate the situation discretely and we found a place. A castle in the middle of the deep Whispering Woods, where no creatures live. There, we spotted the King of hell. He wasn't alone. There was another man, too."

"What. . .?" Lily feels herself freeze. How? What is happening?

"That isn't the only thing, Your Majesty. We obtained a letter today. From a man named Lord Ares. We had thought they wanted to execute their plot in secret. But no, actually discretion isn't what they are trying to achieve. He made it glaringly obvious that he wanted the heavens to surrender. Otherwise, he has warned that he would take the throne forcibly by choosing whatever means possible.  We had thought that Lord Kim had gone missing, Your Majesty. Then, what is happening right now?"

Lily feels the ground below her sink. Like someone has poured ice-cold water on her face.

All this time she had been searching for him and he had been right here. . . .