17: The Demi-Goddess

The door to Aiden's study suddenly springs open. 

Aiden looks up, surprised, putting down his book. No one had been in his Palace to serve him after he had been detained.

He stands up when he sees the face of Noah's mother.

"Greetings, Madam Yang," Aiden bows.

"Greetings Eighth Prince," The woman nods.

"Madam Yang, no one is supposed to be here right now. I have been detained. Please leave before anyone sees you."

"I am aware. I just had some questions to ask," She says. "Aiden, was Noah involved in this?"

Aiden's mouth goes dry. He doesn't answer for a few moments.

"Your expression says that he was involved, too." The woman lets out a sigh. "I told him not to create any troubles."

"Has Noah returned?"

"No, he has disappeared completely. I am assuming you both decided to spy on the King of Hell so that you would obtain information about him and gain merits in the court."

"Yes. His Majesty is yet to choose his heir and the situation is competitive," Aiden smiles bitterly. "But no worries. I am out of the race now."

"Why did you both decide to do something so foolish?" The woman frowns, shaking her head. 

She steps closer to his desk and her expression turns into something strange, something that Aiden had never seen before on her kind face. "Aiden, your brother did this for you."

Aiden couldn't help but feel uncomfortable at the tone of her voice.

He had always thought that Madam Yang was the epitome of kindness. She was a low-ranking deity who had married the God of Water. He had heard that it had caused huge chaos in the heavens initially but everyone had gotten over it after a while, seeing that she was kind and sincere.

"I am aware, Madam. So, I am taking the whole blame." Aiden feels his stomach churning.

The woman starts weeping all of a sudden.

"That's right. You have always been a good child." She looks up at him with teary eyes. "In all these years, I have always treated you like my own son. And Noah has been a good brother to you."

Good brother? A brother who didn't even care enough about him and vanished completely to let him clean his mess.

"I know, madam," Aiden answers. "I will take the whole responsibility. You do not need to worry."

"Aiden, but what if the King of hell comes to know that Noah was the one who actually killed his soulmate?"

"That won't happen," Aiden breathes out. "I won't tell another breathing soul that Noah was involved. Do not worry."