Chapter 16- The journal

Once I'm alone in the copy room, I let out a sigh of relief. I better get the original back to it's place...and pick my coffee up, if it's still there.

I put the folder back exactly where I found it. This could be my last chance to take a look around this room. It would be a shame to miss a possible clue. I decided to take another look around the office. I don't know what to expect to find in this darkness...wish I had my phone with me, but that's another thing they told us not to bring to the lab. Paranoid bunch.

I start with the pile on the desk. As it turns out, all of those are just different financial reports. Jimin would probably be able to gain more information from this...why did I never ask him what exactly he was looking for?

I give up on the desk and start searching the cabinets, bringing whatever I find under the lamp. They're full of material on the Angello virus, nothing I didn't expect to see. Except...wait, this looks familiar. Inside one of the cabinets, I find my own research, but not just the published stuff. All of it. 

Copies of my notes, files that should be locked on my desktop upstairs. Even some of my silly rat doodles! What is going on here? Wither someone is obsessed with my research, or...something bad is going on.

I put the material back into the cabinet and open the next one. There's a journal here!! But...it's locked. What should I do? I shouldn't waste any time looking for a key, and I should pick the lock instead. I pull a pin out of my hair, twist, and break it onto two pieces, and start picking.

Success! I need to remember to thank Taehyung for showing me how to do this. I flip through the journal, looking for any mention of my name. I move towards the last few pages, realizing I don't have much time.

[Journal page]
...I've watched her work today. What a sight to behold. Such focus! Y/N is meant for greatness, I know it. If only I could tell her about what I'm doing here. I paid a lab girl to copy her notes and bring them to me. No doubt she'll use the money to buy more drugs. She's doomed. Serves her right for treating Y/N that way. She keeps failing. It must be because of that other guy who keeps hanging around her desk. I need to know what his intentions are.

Who's writing is this? It's so creepy. 

[Journal page]
Jungkook likes her. He won't say it, but I know him. I wish I knew this before. It complicates things. You're so close! So close! Don't give up now! The other guy turned out to be useful . He's encouraging her, she'll be ready to move here soon. With me. She brought him, but it doesn't matter. We'll find the vaccine soon.

The letters meld into each other, and my ears start ringing. What's wrong with me? Realizing that I won't be able to stay in the room much longer without passing out, I lock the journal and put it back to where I found it. Time to get out of here.

I leave the room, stumbling a little in the darkness. I remember the coffee, and I pick it up on my way to Jimin.

Jimin- Everything alright?

Y/N- Everything's, um...peachy. Just fine. Here, take your coffee.

Jimin- You look really pale. What happened?

Y/N- Don't worry about it. I might just need some fresh air. My ears are ringing. So, what are we working on right now?

We spend the rest of the day working on the endless tasks we've been given. Once it's time to leave, they search Jimin thoroughly. While only giving me a light pat down. I was right...I can't believe we'll get away with this.

Jimin takes me home, and I invite him inside so we can both read the report. Once we've both read it, we spend some time sitting in silence, processing the information inside.

Y/N- Unbelievable. The report is on...making zombie cells? This is a joke...right?

Jimin- I'm not sure. You're the expert on the Angello virus. You tell me.

Y/N- There's no way this is real. Reanimation of dead cells by introducing the Angello virus and then mutating it with a sort of anti-vaccine...For what purpose? Immortality? It's science fiction...

Jimin- Is it? Remember our fanged friend? Perhaps he was a failed experiment.

A cold chill washes over me.

Y/N- There's something else, too...I'm fairly sure it was Seokjin who wrote this report.

Jimin- What makes you think that?

Y/N- I've read everything the guy's ever written. The writing styles match. 

Jimin- Then he could be involved in whatever's going on.

Y/N- ...We'll have to tell Jungkook.

???-Tell Jungkook what?

I almost jump out of my skin at the sound of his voice.

Y/N- Geez, Taehyung, you scared me to death! How did you get in?

Taehyung- You left the door unlocked.

Jimin- So you just invited yourself in.

Taehyung- As a matter of fact, yes I did. You have a problem with that?

Here we go again...

Y/N- Guys...I'm really tired. Let's have an emergency meeting tomorrow, all four of us. There are things we really need to talk about.

Taehyung- Like what?

Jimin- You'll have to find out tomorrow.

Surprisingly enough, Taehyung gives up. As soon as they leave, I go back to re-reading the stole report. Time passes quickly.

I'm so tired, but at the same time, too excited. Too curious to go to sleep. Perhaps, I need some fresh air. I walk towards the window with the intention of opening it, but I stop myself right before I do.

Y/N- There's someone out there!

I watch as a shadowy figure smoking cigarette across the street stares at my window for a few minutes the walks down the street without turning back. There's nothing to fear...I'm overreacting, that's all...Right?