Chapter 14- Is it possible?

I go to the ladies' washroom to compose myself. I'm not going to let myself lose the little sanity I have. Not when I'm so close to bringing an end to the virus.
And yet, I'm talking to myself in the mirror. I wash my face, but when I look up, the mirror reveals the monster standing right behind me.

Y/N- AAAH!

I turn to face it, but there's nothing there. I'm all alone. Just in case, I turn towards the mirror again, but nothing. Definitely going insane.

Shaken, I leave the bathroom and return to the lab. 

Jimin- What happened?

Y/N- Oh Jimin, thank god!

I tell him what I heard and saw, he pauses for a moment before replying.

Jimin- Perhaps you should get some rest. Take a few days off.

Y/N- You think I'm crazy too?

Jimin- "Crazy" is an exaggeration. I think you've been through a lot and the stress might be affecting you.

Y/N- How come it's not affecting you?

I didn't mean it to sound so bitter, but he just shrugs.

Jimin- We deal with it in different ways. There could be another explanation for sensation you've been experiencing though.

Y/N- Like what?

Jimin- We'll need to find out more about our monster before I can say for sure.

Y/N- Back to reality then, I suppose.

Jimin- Yes. So you're staying at the lab? I'm free right now, if you need any help with your experiment..

Y/N- I could use a distraction. Let's get to work.

We go over my previous attempts at creating a vaccine, discuss the possible reasons for their failure, and muse about what we could try next. Working with Jimin relaxes me so much. Suddenly, it feels like we're all alone in the lab

Y/N-I never get this focused working alone.

Jimin- Well, that comment might be an indication that your focus is slipping away. 

Y/N- Sorry.

Jimin- No, it's alright. If you feel like talking, then talk. It might soothe you.

How does he manage to keep that cold exterior while being so supportive at the same time?

Y/N- Why do you help me so much?

He puts his hand on his chin, thinking, as if my question was deeply philosophical in nature.

Jimin- It's better than being alone while I have nothing to do.

I wonder if he's ever lonely...

Y/N- Do you live alone?

For a moment it looks like he won't reply.

Jimin- Yes.

Y/N- Moment of truth now.

Jimin- Did you implement the suggestions I made?

Y/N- Yes. Although, I don't think my rats will have a problem with vomiting.

...Usually they just die.

Jimin- Go ahead then.

I open a cage that holds a couple of mice, and I pick bigger one up.

Y/N- These two arrived this morning.

Jimin- Yours hands are shaking.

Y/N- I just remembered what happened last time...