Chapter 13- Secrets

Talking to them, for a moment I forget about all of my worries.

Jungkook- So anyway, we think you'd be a perfect fit!

Seokjin- Let's not leap forward before hearing the lady's opinion, kook.

Y/N- What is it about?

Seokjin- Before I say anything, I'll need you to swear absolute secrecy. Nobody must find out what I'm about to propose, or all will be lost.

Y/N- Absolute secrecy, huh? Alright, I'll bite. What's this about?

Seokjin- Some time ago, Professor Angello managed to secure the funding for a new lab. It's helped him get a new hindsight into the nature of the virus.

Y/N- Why haven't we been told of this?

Seokjin- Well, as I'm sure you know, there is some rivalry between the professors here. Not everyone agrees with giving Professor Angello more money and equipment. They question his competence as the leader of the labs. They say he hasn't produced any results so far, so why should he be supported instead of someone else.

Jungkook- But wasn't the professor the one who discovered the virus in the first place?

Y/N- Yes, but apart from it's discovery, he hasn't contributed much to the vaccine development.

Seokjin- I assure you that he's working just as hard, if not harder than anyone else on finding that cure.

In his tone, I could feel he didn't like what I said. I suppose it's natural. Professor Angello is his mentor, after all.

Jungkook- Tell her about the exciting part. 

Y/N- What's that?

Seokjin- We need more help in the lab. Professor Angello asked me to find someone passionate about research, and the first person I thought of was you.  

Y/N- Me?! Working with you and Professor Angelllo?!

Seokjin smiles at my excitement.

Seokjin- And a few other scientists.

Y/N- What about my work here, in my old lab?

Seokjin- I'm afraid you'll have to abandon it for some time. You have no idea just how advanced the new lab is. With that technology, and with you on our side, who knows...? The cure might be in our grasp.

I want to more than anything...but I feel like I was just about to do something grand on my own, with my vaccine...what should I do?

Jungkook- Maybe it would be easier for her if she could bring a teammate along? Someone to support her in her new environment?

Seokjin- Hmm...I'm not sure I would be able to get permission to add another member to the team, but I could try, if it meant she'd join us.

Y/N- Jimin. I'll join the team if I can bring Jimin along.

Seokjin- I'll see what I can do.

As Seokjin leaves, Jungkook frowns and crosses his arms, looking away from me. He looks upset...

Y/N- Is everything alright?

A moment passes before he replies

Jungkook- Yeah.

Y/N- Come on. Spill it out.

Jungkook- It's not important. Just...I thought...well I was wondering why you picked Jimin.

Y/N- Why does it matter?

Jungkook- When I suggested it, I was hoping I'd be the one to come to the new lab with you.

Oh my gosh. I had no idea!

Y/N- I didn't realize that you'd be interested in something like that, as an ecologist.

Jungkook- No, of course. You couldn't have known. I don't know why I'd hoped you'd pick me.

Y/N- I'm not picking Jimin over you, Jungkook. There's a reason, I said what I said.

Jungkook- See, I think this is at the core of why I wanted to come with you. I thought that maybe, if I was in that lab, I'd be on the frontlines again. I'd have some idea of what's happening, at least.

And I was the one who closed the door to that opportunity for him.

Y/N- I'm really sorry. I assure you I don't want to keep you in the dark.

Jungkook shifts and looks away before replying.

Jungkook- It's not you. It's...Seokjin.

Sounds like something's going on.

Y/N- You can tell me about it if you want.

Jungkook- I just feel like I don't know him anymore. He's keeping secrets from me.

Y/N- You mean about the secret lab?

Jungkook- That's actually the first thing about his work he's said to me since he became Professor Angello's assistance. He used to tell me everything. I'm probably being an idiot.

Y/N- I think you should ask him about it.

Jungkook- Sure why not. "Hey dude, I'm feeling a little left out since you're not telling me every little detail about your life anymore". Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

Y/N- What about just..."I  miss our talks. I'm here for you if you need me." This way you give him a choice and don't put your feelings first.

Jungkook- Makes sense. Thanks for the advice, Y/N.

Y/N- Anytime.

Jungkook- I think he likes you.

Y/N- Who?

Jungkook- Seokjin. If he opens up to you, will you tell me what's troubling him?

I can feel how much he worries about his friend...but I can't promise him I'll tell him about anything Seokjin asks me not to.

Y/N- Don't worry Jungkook. Everything is going to be okay.

Jungkook- I believe you when you say that. I guess I'm being ridiculous. Maybe I'm jealous of my friend being on such a high position. I don't know. It's like he's been consumed by this Angello virus business.

Y/N- I understand. I wouldn't expect anything else, to be honest. I feel like all of us who are involved with it are slowly being consumed by the futility of it all...until there's nothing left.

Jungkook- Well, I won't let my friends be destroyed. Either of you. I'm late for my class again. I'll see you later, Y/N.

Y/N- Okay...

I didn't realize how he felt. I better get back to the lab. Not that everyone misses me there. 
I head towards the lab, my ears start to ring. I stop and shake my head, but it doesn't help. In fact, it only gets worse.

???- Hehehe...

It's that child again. I turn around, but no one's there.

???- Hihi...wanna play again?

Y/N- Where are you?! Show yourself!

The sound of the child's laughter slowly disappears down the hallway.

Y/N- I feel like I'm going insane.

I go to the ladies' washroom to compose myself. I'm not going to let myself lose the little sanity I have. Not when I'm so close to bringing an end to the virus.
And yet, I'm talking to myself in the mirror. I wash my face, but when I look up, the mirror reveals the monster standing right behind me. 

Y/N- AAAH!