Chapter 1- Vaccine

"Please, please let it work this time.."

So many sleepless nights, but I feels like  I'm still not even close to finding the cure.

"I just need one victory today."

I glanced at the clock before turning my voice recorder on.

"Wednesday, second attempt, the time is 12.30. I am injecting a rat with an experimental vaccine. I'm expecting---well hoping for--- a different reaction this time around."

I tap the pause button and sigh. No point in delaying this.

"The details will be done on my report."

I pick up the little up and examine it. It doesn't appear sick. No one who has been infected, shows signs at first. But a blood sample analysis would reveal the ugly face of the Angello virus.

"Either you die tomorrow or I'll kill you today Ash. There's also a very small chance, I would save your life, but let's not get our hopes up."

Talking to a rat now...I really am going insane. Here goes nothing... I fill a syringe with a dark blue liquid I synthesized this morning. I just need to know what I'm doing wrong... My research is rock solid, so why is it not working? It'll work this time. It must. And then, I'll cure the whole world.

A few minutes later, the rat starts convulsing violently. And then his movements completely stop. Subject is dead. I failed again.

Jimin- Good afternoon Y/N. How are you today?

Y/N- I killed another rat.

Jimin- Practice leaving your feelings infront of the lab doors then. Otherwise they might stand between you and your success.

Jimin is a brilliant scientist. And one of my rare allies in the lab, but sometimes I forget how cold and calculating he can be.

Y/N- You're right. I shouldn't have said anything.

Jimin- I don't mean to belittle your feelings. It's natural to be frustrated. Still, you should keep in mind. That you know more about this virus than anyone here. Including our professors. We need you focused.

Y/N- You flatter me. 

Jimin- I would gain nothing by flattering you. It's true, otherwise you wouldn't get that grant.

Y/N- Yeah, I'm going to lose that if I don't produce results. And I don't get to choose how I spend the money.

Jimin- Ah well...

Y/N- I 'm just cracking under the pressure. Did you hear about the village this morning?

Jimin nods. If he felt anything particular about the news, he didn't show it.

Y/N- It's spreading too fast. And it's too aggressive. I have to stop it..

Jimin- And you will, it's just a matter of time.

Y/N- I'm just afraid, it'll be too late if I do.

Jimin- I know, and you look a little pale. Have you had something to eat?

Y/N- Pancakes. You wouldn't believe how good they were. But I haven't had my morning coffee yet.

Jimin- Not the healthiest choice, I see.

Y/N- Pancakes or coffee?

Jimin smiles, leaving my question  open.

Jimin- Come to think of it, I haven't had any coffee yet, either. Do you want to take a break together?