1 (That Night)

I remembered it like it was yesterday. My first and only night with my childhood best friend. I had known Colby Brock since I was 16 and he was 14. Back then, he had been just a kid with a crush. Now, he was an extremely successful, extremely handsome YouTuber.

I guess I was the one with the crush then. I smiled to myself, as I ran my finger lightly over the picture on my phone. It was from that night. The night that I finally let myself live again. The night I had completely let go of my abusive ex, Will...if only for that night. 

Sam, Colby, and I, went to Club Infinity, where they had tossed some money at people and gotten us into the VIP section. I remembered how insecure I had felt, in my Walmart clothes, next to the Gucci and the Balenciaga. 

I let my mind wander back to that night, reliving it for the millionth time.

"I think I'm underdressed," I murmured, as I watched a lady in a very sparkly pink dress, with a slit up to her waist, walk by. "You're perfect," Colby replied, tightening his fingers on my hip again. 

A shiver ran through my body every time he did that. It felt so personal and intimate, but I knew how stupid it was for me to think of it in that way. Sure, Colby flirted with me, but he always had. That was just our dynamic, stemming back to when we were kids. There had been a few shared kisses, mostly when I was drunk, but we never really talked about them. 

We were friends. Newly reacquainted friends, at that. He would be leaving tomorrow, back to his glamorous life, with his glamorous friends, and the glamorous girls who threw themselves at him. 

The skinny girls, with their immaculate nails, perfect makeup, and shiny hair. The girls that I could never compete with. 

I had learned a long time ago, that I was nothing special. I wasn't the worst looking girl, but I wasn't the prettiest. I wasn't the dumbest, but I wasn't the smartest. I wasn't the fattest, but I also wasn't the skinniest. I wasn't unpopular in school, but I wasn't really popular either. 

I wasn't the best at anything, but I wasn't the worst either. I was average at everything I had ever done, or been, in my life. 

Including my relationship with my ex, Will. It had been abusive, but not in the worst way. I wasn't beat up, or forced to have sex. No, I was hit once, pushed a couple of times, and coerced into having sex, but that didn't really count. Because, if I eventually said yes, then I gave consent...right?

Other people had been through way worse.

So, here I was, as average as I had ever been, surrounded by luxury and beauty that I was not accustomed too. 

"Here, try this. I think you'll like it," Colby said, passing me a drink that the waitress had brought over. "What is it?" I asked, hesitantly. It was a pretty red color, with some green at the bottom. I took a timid sniff, and cringed against the smell of liquor that permeated my senses. 

"It's called a Kinky Green Cocktail. I got them to add Grenadine to it, for a little added sweetness. Try it," he replied. I giggled at the name, bringing a smile to his full lips. "You're such a child," he laughed. "Look who's talking," Sam chimed in. 

"Okay, no one asked you!" Colby protested, jokingly. He kept his eyes on mine, as he brought his own drink to his lips and took a deep swallow. I took a deep breath, when my eyes left his and traveled to his mouth instead. His tongue rolled slowly over his bottom lip, capturing the excess liquid from his drink.

I swear I forgot how to breathe for a second. 

"Oh my God, you're killing me!" he laughed, as he reached out and tilted my drink towards my mouth. "Taste it!" "Okay, okay," I murmured. I pressed the stylish, tall glass to my lips and let some of the liquid trickle into my mouth.