Vol. 7 Ch. 47 Sparks

3rd Person POV

As a truck drove along a long, straight road in the middle of the tundra, Ruby spoke up and said, "Not that I'm bored, but why can't we just use an airship to take these supplies to Amity?" Ruby, Penny, and Ace were sitting in the front seat, while an AK-200 was driving. Sitting next to Ace, who was already asleep, Ruby stared ahead sleepily as Penny answered, "The components for Amity Tower's construction are far too heavy. All that weight would require precious Dust we should be saving for the launch itself. And the Grimm that will come after." Ruby began to come closer to nodding off to sleep as she said, "It just makes for long... very long... supply runs." Penny replied, "At least the tundra is scenic." Penny smiled and looked out the window. In the distance, a pair of penguins watch the truck, squawking.

Unimpressed, Ruby responded, "Totally." Ruby began falling asleep, soon leaning over to Ace's shoulder as he continued to sleep undisturbed. Penny suddenly said, "Ruby!" Ruby was startled awake as Penny continued, "I just wanted to say how excited I am to be working with you in a professional capacity. As friends!" Penny grinned excitedly as Ruby laughed and said, "Me too, Penny." Penny added, "Relationships are so interesting and varied!" Ruby replied, "Speaking of friends... Have you been able to make any new ones? Since, you know...?" Penny answered, "Now that I'm the official protector of Mantle, I don't really have a team anymore. General Ironwood says I don't have time for friends." Ruby replied, "Oh, uh, how do you feel about that?" Penny answered, "I feel like I wish I could do both the things I need to do and the things I want to do. Is that normal?" Ruby replied, "That's about as normal as it gets, Penny."

Qrow spoke up from the back of the truck and said, "Everything going alright up there?" Ruby replied and said, "Just fine, Uncle Qrow!" Ruby gave a thumbs up. In the back, Qrow was playing a card game with Clover, who set several cards down on the supply crate they were using as a table and said, "I win again. Maybe we should call it quits?" Qrow replied, "Shut up and deal." Clover laughed, then gathered up the cards and shuffled them as he said, "Your niece sure is one of a kind, huh?" Qrow replied and said, "They all are. Been through a lot together." Clover responded and said, "It's a good thing they had someone to look up to and get them through it. Not everyone is so lucky."

Clover began dealing the cards and Qrow said, "I don't know about all that. Thanks, by the way. For looking out for 'em. You and your team." Clover replied and said, "What good is saving the world without another generation waiting in the wings? Hopefully they'll leave Remnant better than we left it for them." Qrow responded and said, "Once upon a time, I'd have drank to that." Clover replied and said, "You shouldn't do that, you know." Qrow answered and said, "Don't worry, I-I gave that up." Clover replied, "I meant deflect a compliment. Those kids wouldn't be where they are without you. You've had more of an effect on them than you realize." Qrow smiled and rubbed the side of his head. Then Ruby spoke up from the front seat and said, "Uh, Uncle Qrow." Qrow and Clover got up and headed to the front of the truck as Ruby elbowed her fiancé hard in the gut to wake him.

Ace's POV

After I groaned briefly in pain from how Ruby woke me up, I said, "What's going on? Grimm?" Clover replied and answered, "No. Worse. You three with me. Penny, stay put and keep an eye on our six. We may need an element of surprise." Penny replied and said, "Affirmative. I will plan for six possible outcomes." The four of us looked at Penny, who smiled confidently. As the truck came to a stop, Clover, Ruby, Qrow, and I exit. I saw two people standing in the middle of the road in front of a sheet metal barricade built in front of a small canyon. One of them was a young woman with short and messy swept styled white hair and olive eyes. She had sheep ears as her Faunus trait with a small hoop earring on her left ear and a small bell earring on her right ear. I then recognized the other woman as the person who saved me from nearly being used as a living sex toy.

Then Clover spoke up and said, "Robyn! Well, if it isn't Mantle's home town hero. Is there a reason you're blocking an official military transport?" Robyn answered and said, "Clover, I'm so glad you're here. Maybe you can help me understand why this truck that's supposed to be taking construction materials to fix Mantle's outer wall, is on its way to the middle of nowhere? Are you lost?" Clover laughed and said, "It's pretty easy to get turned around out here in the tundra, everything looks the same. Thanks for checking up on us though. We'll be on our way now." Clover started to walk away, but Robyn sighed and said, "I was hoping you'd play it straight with me. What's Ironwood doing with Amity at the old SDC mine?"

Clover stopped and turned back to Robyn as he answered, "Oh, that. Just giving her an annual checkup." Robyn replied, :The next Vytal Festival isn't anytime soon. Only automated drones and a few select Atlas scientists are allowed out here. And Amity's getting invaluable resources we need in Mantle to protect against Grimm. Seems like more than just a check-up." Clover responded and said, "You've been scoping it out." Robyn answered and said, "We can't fix the wall without the supplies on these trucks. I think Mantle deserves to know what they're being used for. It doesn't have to be difficult. Just tell me." Robyn walked forward and extended her hand with a smile, to which Clover replied, "I'm going to have to pass on that." She frowned, then smiled again as she turned her attention to Ruby and Qrow and said, "How 'bout you, pipsqueak? Five o' clock shadow? Either of you want to tell me why Mantle's being put at risk for Ironwood's pet project?" She then noticed me and said, "What about you, Timelord? Still not wearing a shirt I see. Why don't you tell what this is all about? It'd be a great way to pay me back for saving you." I groaned at the memory while ignoring the brief glare from Ruby, who said, "We're trying to help Mantle. We need─"

Clover cut her off and said, "That's enough Robyn. As a potential Councilwoman, you should probably focus on the election instead of harassing Huntsmen. Now, it's time to let us pass." Robyn replied and said, "I think you've misjudged the situation. One way or another, these supplies are going to get where they're supposed to go ─Mantle." Clover responded and said, "Then I suggest you do that through the proper legal channels as a Councilwoman. If you get elected." Robyn smiled and said, "Now where's the fun in that?" Clover tensed his hand, and Ruby, Qrow, and I put our hands on our weapons. Suddenly, Penny flew out from the back of the truck and landed on top of it, her swords levitating around her as she said, "Robyn Hill. I would like to politely ask that you call off the Huntresses approaching the rear of the truck." We looked back at what appeared to be absolutely nothing behind the truck as Robyn laughed and said, "Alright. Joanna, May!" Two people faded into view behind the truck as Robyn looked up at Penny and said, "The Protector of Mantle, huh?" I sighed as Penny said, "Robyn, let us through, please."

Everyone remained tense for a moment, ready for a fight. Robyn sighed, and Fiona opened the gate on the barricade. Penny came down from the truck, and she, Ruby, Qrow, Clover, and I start walking to enter the truck. Clover stopped and looked back as he said, "Robyn. Good luck at the election." We entered the truck and drove through the canyon. Qrow spoke up and said, "That was a close one." Clover replied and said, "You're telling me." Ruby looked at me and punched my shoulder as she said, "What exactly was she talking about, Ace? What did she save you from and when?" I groaned and said, "Ugh. It was when we got to Atlas and you guys where captured." Then I began to tell them what I had gone through.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter.
Master out.