Vol. 1 Ch. 1 Beacon Academy

Ace's POV

I was sitting on an airship heading for Beacon Academy. I sighed as I looked at my left hand for a moment, despite the fact that its robotic appearance was covered by my glove like usual. I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard my best friend, Ray Stone, say, "Hey, Ace. Don't worry about it. I've never cared that your hand isn't real. And I'm sure that you'll meet plenty of people here that won't mind either. Trust me." I smiled and said, "Thanks, man." He nodded and said, "No problem. We're basically brothers." I smirked and said, "You got that right."

Our attention was drawn to a newscast on Vale News Network playing nearby. It was talking about the robbery and showed a mug shot of Roman Torchwick as the reporter said, "The robbery was led by nefarious criminal Roman Torchwick, who continues to evade authorities. If you have any information on his whereabouts, please contact the Vale Police Department. Back to you, Lisa." The mugshot changed to Lisa Lavender, with a photo of Faunus demonstrators holding signs saying "WE ARE NOT ANIMALS!" followed by an image of the logo of the White Fang as Lisa replied, "Thank you, Cyril. In other news, this Saturday's Faunus Civil Rights protest turned dark when members of the White Fang disrupted the ceremony. The once peaceful organization has now disrupted─"

The news feed was cut off as a hologram of a blonde middle-aged woman wearing glasses replaced it and said, "Hello, and welcome to Beacon!" Ray leaned towards me and said, "Who's that?" The woman then answered his question and said, "My name is Glynda Goodwitch." Ray replied, "Oh." Glynda continued and said, "You are among a privileged few who have received the honor of being selected to attend this prestigious academy! Our world is experiencing an incredible time of peace, and as future Huntsmen and Huntresses, it is your duty to uphold it. You have demonstrated the courage needed for such a task, and now it is our turn to provide you with the knowledge and the training to protect our world." The hologram of Glynda disappeared and most of the other students on the airship began looking through the glass walls at the town below. I rolled my eyes and said, "Ray, we're not in Mistral anymore."

He chuckled and replied, "No kidding. Didn't you use to live in Vale?" I nodded and said, "Yeah, but only for about a year. Then I ended up meeting you." Ray looked at me for a second before he realized what I meant. Then he said, "Oh, right. Sorry for bringing it up." I waved it off and said, "Don't worry about it." He nodded and said, "But, hey, we made it to Beacon Academy, dude!" I smirked and said, "You're right! Who knows who we'll meet here?" Once the airship landed, Ray and I walked off and headed towards the auditorium. As we got there, we both noticed that there were quite a lot of other students there. I turned to Ray and said, "I'm so glad that you and I are here. I'd hate to be here without any of my friends." He nodded and said, "I second that." We both looked over to the stage, where Professor Ozpin was readying the microphone, with Glynda beside him. Then Ozpin said, "I'll... keep this brief. You have traveled here today in search of knowledge, to hone your craft and acquire new skills, and when you have finished, you plan to dedicate your life to the protection of the people. But I look amongst you, and all I see is wasted energy, in need of purpose, direction. You assume knowledge will free you of this, but your time at this school will prove that knowledge can only carry you so far. It is up to you to take the first step."

As Ozpin left, Glynda stepped up to talk and said, "You will gather in the ballroom tonight; tomorrow, your initiation begins. Be ready. You are dismissed." Ray and I both looked at each other confused and he said, "He seemed kinda..." I finished his sentence and said, "Off? Yeah, he did." We both went into the cafeteria for dinner. Once we got our food, we began looking for a place to sit. I saw an open spot at a table across from two girls. One of them had long, thick, wavy bright golden hair that faded to pale gold at the tips with a cowlick sticking out at the top, and was wearing a tan jacket that bares her midriff, with golden brown piping and short, puffy sleeves with black cuffs that feature two gold buttons. Underneath this, she wore a low cut yellow crop top with her emblem on the left breast in black.

The other girl, however, looked a little young to be 17. She had neck-length black hair with red tips and was wearing a black long-sleeved blouse with a high collar and red trim on the sleeves, over which was a black waist cincher with red lacing up the front, and a matching skirt with red lining. She also wore a pair of thick black stockings and black combat boots with red laces, red trims around the top, and red soles. Her outfit was topped by a red hooded cloak fastened to her shoulders by cross-shaped pins.

I nudged Ray and said, "There's a spot by those two girls. Wanna ask them if it's open?" He nodded and we both walked over. I spoke up and said, "Hey, is this spot taken?" The yellow-haired girl shook her head and said, "No, go ahead. We won't mind." I nodded and we both sat down as I said, "Thanks, uh...?" The girl spoke up again and said, "I'm Yang, and this is my sister Ruby." I looked at the two girls and said, "Pardon me, but you two don't look at all alike." Yang nodded and said, "We get that a lot. We're actually half-sisters. Different moms, same dad." I nodded in understanding and said, "I see. Well, I'm Ace, and this is my friend, Ray." The two girls nodded and Ray said, "Excuse me for asking, but Ruby, you don't exactly look like you're 17." Yang smirked as she hugged Ruby tightly and said, "She's not, she got moved ahead 2 years. I'm so proud of my baby sister!" Ruby finally spoke up and said, "Yang! Stop! You're embarrassing me!" Ray and I both chuckled lightly as Yang let her sister go.

Once we finished eating, I turned to Yang and Ruby and said, "Well, it was nice meeting you two. We'll see you girls around." They waved goodbye as Ray and I walked off to the locker room to change into our pajamas. For me, that was just a pair of dark blue sweatpants. Ray changed into a plain white t-shirt and tan sweatpants. We both went to the ballroom and set our sleeping bags up against one of the walls. After awhile, we both fell asleep.

Ruby's POV

"It's like a big slumber party!" Yang says as she plops down onto her sleeping bag. I responded, "I don't think dad would approve of all the boys, though." Yang replied as she winked at me, "I know that I do." She purred as she watched several muscular, shirtless guys... and Jaune, dressed in feetie pajamas, waving to her, which made her groan before she returned her attention to back to me and said, "What's that?" I answered and said, "A letter to the gang back at Signal. I promised to tell them all about Beacon and how things are going." Yang replied, "Aw, that's so cuuuute!" I knocked her back as I threw a pillow at her face and said, "Shut up! I didn't get to take my friends with me to school! It's weird not knowing anyone here!" Yang replied, "What about Jaune? He's... nice! There you go! Plus one friend! That's a hundred percent increase!" I turned on my back and said, "Pretty sure Weiss counts as a negative friend. Back to zero..." Yang replied, "There's no such things as negative friends! You just made one friend and one enemy! And what about Ace and Ray? They were great." I shrugged my shoulders and said, "I mean, I guess." Yang spoke up again and said, "Look, it's only been one day. Trust me; you've got friends all around you! You just haven't met them yet!"

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and enjoy this fanfic! I know I'm excited for it.
Master out.