Vol. 1 Ch. 8 Secrets

Ace's POV

Time Skip
(Brought to you by Chibi Pyrrha using her Semblance to levitate and spin a spoon)

Ruby, her team, and I were walking through the streets of Vale, which were being decorated in time for the Vytal Festival. Ruby had invited me to come with her and her team to the docks since Weiss had wanted to go. Red, yellow, and green streamers and balloons were proudly on display, and we were strolling through it all with an awed Weiss in the front. Weiss stopped and raised her her arms in amazement as she said, "The Vytal Festival! Oh, this is absolutely wonderful!" Ruby spoke up and said, "I don't think I've ever seen you smile this much, Weiss. It's kinda weirding me out..." I nodded in agreement as Weiss replied, "How could you not smile? A festival dedicated to the cultures of the world! There will be dances! Parades! A tournament! Oh, the amount of planning and organization that goes into this event is simply breathtaking!" We continued walking as Yang sighed, with her arms crossed, and said, "You really know how to take a good thing and make it sound boring." Weiss responded and said, "Quiet, you!" As we stopped near the docks and the sounds of foghorns could be heard, Yang said, "Remind me again why we're spending our Friday afternoon visiting the stupid docks?" Covering her nose, Ruby said, "Ugh, they smell like fish!" I smirked and chuckled lightly at Ruby's childish behavior as Weiss said, "I've heard that students visiting from Vacuo will be arriving by ship today. And, as a representative of Beacon, I feel as though it is my solemn duty to welcome them to this fine kingdom!" As Weiss started walking away again, Blake said, "She wants to spy on them so she'll have the upper hand in the tournament." Weiss scoffed and said, "You can't prove that!" I rolled my eyes and said, "Keep telling yourself that, Ice Queen." Weiss rolled her eyes at me as Ruby turned her head to the right and said, "Whoa." All of us looked at a shattered window down the street and a door full of yellow caution tape of the Vale Police Force before walking over to the detective in front, who was writing on his pad. Ruby looked at the detective and asked, "What happened here?"

The detective replied, "Robbery. Second Dust shop to be hit this week. This place is turning into a jungle." He walked over to his partner as Yang sighed sadly and said, "That's terrible." The second detective said to his partner, "They left all the money again." Ruby and I both turned our heads when we heard this and said, "Huh?" The first detective replied to his partner and said, "Yeah, just doesn't make a lick of sense. Who needs that much Dust?" The second one responded and said, "I don't know, an army?" The first one replied and asked, "You thinking the White Fang?" The second detective removed his sunglasses as his answered and said, "Yeah, I'm thinking we don't get paid enough." Weiss spoke up and said, "Hmph! The White Fang." She crossed her arms and pointed her nose in the air with her eyes closed as she added, "What an awful bunch of degenerates!" Blake replied and said, "What's your problem?" Turning to her, Weiss answered, "My problem? I simply don't care for the criminally insane." Blake replied, "The White Fang is hardly a bunch of psychopaths." Blake crossed her arms, getting serious as she added, "They're a collection of misguided Faunus." Weiss got furious and said, "Misguided?!? They want to wipe humanity off the face of the planet." Blake replied and said, "So then they're very misguided. Either way, it doesn't explain why they would rob a Dust shop in the middle of downtown Vale!" Then Ruby spoke up and said, "Hmm... Blake's got a point. Besides, the police never caught that Torchwick guy I ran into a few months ago... Maybe it was him." Weiss acknowledged what Ruby had just said and replied, "That still doesn't change the fact that the White Fang are a bunch of scum. Those Faunus only know how to lie, cheat, and steal." Yang responded and said, "That's not necessarily true." Then we all heard someone scream and say, "Hey, stop that Faunus!"

As we all overheard the cry for help and rushed over to investigate, a Faunus with a golden monkey tail was running down the length of the boat and leapt on to the edge as the two sailors were about to apprehend him. Then he looked back at his pursuers and said, "Thanks for the ride, you guys." He jumped off the boat and landed on the docks, still running away from the sailors or any other authorities. The sailor then yelled and said, "You no-good stowaway!!!" The monkey Faunus used his tail to hang on a lamppost while he peeled back a banana and said, "Hey, a no-good stowaway would've been caught. I'm a great stowaway!" A detective looked up at him and said, "Hey, get down from there this instant!" The Faunus simply just threw the banana peel on the detective's face which made him growl. The monkey Faunus twirled up to crouch on the lamppost, laughed in amusement, and proceeded to leap off and run away from the detectives. He ran up the stairs and past all of us before we could do anything. Yang then spoke up and said, "Well, Weiss, you wanted to see the competition and there it goes." Weiss replied and said, "Quick, we have to observe him!" The five of us gave chase after the Faunus. We rounded the next corner, but then Weiss bumped into someone and tripped. She looked up only to see the Faunus jump on to a building and disappear from her view as she said, "No, he got away!"