Vol. 3 Ch. 22 Round One

Ace's POV

In the field of volcanic earth and icy glaciers in arena below, I watched as Ruby fired and swung her Crescent Rose at an opponent as Blake exchanged blows with Reese Chloris, the blades of her Gambol Shroud colliding with the hoverboard of her opponent until she flipped away, readied herself, and charged in again. Behind her, Weiss waved her Myrtenaster, and finally Yang dodged the explosive force of Arslan Altan's fist before returning fire with her own Ember Celica. My team had already had our first match, which was against Team FNKI from Atlas. It was a really close match, but unfortunately, we ended up losing from ringout due to Flynt Coal's Semblance. In the announcer booth, Port said, "Hello! It seems that we have another astonishing bout ahead of us! Wouldn't you agree, Professor?" Oobleck replied, a bit annoyed, and said, "Doctor. And yes Peter, I think it's safe to say this match may be the second closest we've seen of the four-on-four round of the tournament!" The two professors began to explain how the tournament worked and Port finished the explanation by saying, "Ahh, and why would they? Now, let's get back to the match between Team RWBY of Beacon, and Team ABRN, of Haven."

Reese steered her board through the ice. She twirled herself until the board got launched at Blake, but she's able to knock it away, only for Reese to direct it back at her opponent. Blake blocked it again, but the board rotated back to its wielder just in time to defend Reese as Blake delivered several slashes and kicks. Reese deflected each attack and spun her weapon around until she can flip away and ride it again, rushing towards a smirking Blake. She collided with the frozen shadow clone, and Blake used this opportunity to slice the board in two, only for the halves to become dual katars that in turn fold up into bayonet-bladed revolvers. Reese managed to fire off a few green rounds before her tailbone collided painfully on the cold ground. Blake winced with sympathy as I did as well from the stands.

Meanwhile, Yang landed mere feet away from Arslan, who backed away before being pounded by two quick punches. The pair dodged each others kicks then Arslan delivered her own hits, launching a series of hammer blows. Yang defended herself and retaliated, the clash ending with the two smashing fists and creating a shockwave of force from the impact. Yang and Arslan were both thrown back, but Yang reached her and tried delivering more blows before Arslan flipped away then used her rope dart to tangle up her blonde adversary's leg and land a kick of her own to send Yang skidding on the ground. While Yang tried to get her balance back on the slippery surface, Arslan rushed forward and knocked her back even further. Nearby, Nadir Shiko tried aiming with his assault rifle at Yang before a sudden burst of frosty blue exploded behind him and left the whimpering gunner in a block of ice up to his thighs. Ruby looked up from her sniper scope and said, "Got your back!" From behind her, Bolin Nori said, "But who's got yours?" Ruby looked up behind her as Bolin twirled his staff, right when a black snowflake glyph appeared to his left and Weiss kicked him through it into a rock as Ruby replied, "My BFF!" Weiss responded, deadpan and said, "No." Ruby pumped her fist, whispering to herself, "Yes."

Bolin crouched with his weapon as he saw a white glyph appear in front of him. A second later, Weiss dashed by and slashed at him, then leapt up and attempted an aerial attack, which he was able to block. She readied her sword while preparing a glyph behind her, and Ruby used it to launch herself straight up and come down spinning on Bolin, who managed to block the curved blade. Ruby grimaced and blasted herself away to Weiss' side, and Bolin rushed at them, rolling away from the shards of ice that rained on him and jumping over Ruby's swing as he continued running. Bolin managed to reach an orange crystal deposit and sliced off a shard, which he threw to Reese over in the icy half of the stadium. With Dust in hand, Reese fused it with her board, turning the aqua lights to a crimson shade. She winked at Blake, then used the board's heat to free Nadir from his icy snare as he said, "Thanks Reese!" She came back to Blake and slammed her board into her enemy's blade, but propelled herself backwards and knocked Blake through a frozen pillar. Reese attempted to use her board to slam her foe into the ground, but when she dodged that, she spun around in a flaming arc that Blake narrowly missed thanks to her shadows. Changing tactics, Blake launched the pistol part of Gambol Shroud at a nearby glacier and launched herself behind it, as Reese followed her and saw Blake with her back turned to her under an arch. Reese grinned before riding in to deliver a flaming spiral at the shadow clone, only to see the ribbon Blake was launching to trap her opponent a moment too late. She pulled tightly and caused Reese to slam body-first into the string, only to use a final kick to knock her out of the stage. Reese crashed into the wall of the stands before landing on the ground, defeated.