The Other Side

I peel myself off the ground, feeling nothing short of pure humiliation and rage. That bastard half of mine actually beat me and it's entirely my fault. If I didn't play around as much as I did that never would've happened.

I stumble forward, feeling an ache all throughout my body. That Ark really hurt . . . And when did they learn to make weapons out of the energy? Or a BLAST for that matter?

I stumble again, fallling to my knee. Well, if that bastard can get stronger, I think it's only reasonable I can too. I just have to- I push myself back up. - get back to them.

I look back at the castle, and realize just how far away I was launched. I almost can't even see it anymore.

I laugh to myself.

(E/Y/N): "Ohh I'm gonna be great when I figure out your tricks."

The sun begins to set as I limp my way to her. Say, I wonder how the rest of us did, Estarossa, Zeldris, Derieri, Monspeet, and Fraudrin . . Escanor is strong but from what I gather Estarossa should be able to take him out no problem, as for the rest, I see no reason they should fail when Escanor is out of the way. As for my other half, there's no telling how strong that bastard got, but there's no way Zeldris couldn't handle it. Merlin is disposed of thanks to Galand, and Meliodas is dead. King and Diane have yet to show themselves but they're nothing too difficult. Ban is impossible to kill but fairly weak, and everyone else is paperweight.

Finally, after several hours, I can faintly feel her presence. She's in a relatively small town, right where she said she'd be.

I wipe the blood off my nose and continue to walk, as hard as it may be. Finally, she comes into my view. Draining the entire town of their souls. Kinda . .  I lose my balance and catch myself, careful not to disturb her. I scootch my way over to her, just watching the blue orbs fly towards her.

Melascula: "So, how did it go?"

(E/Y/N): "Eheh, I can't speak for anyone else but personally . . It sigh it didn't go well."

She turns and looks at me, the blue light from the souls illuminating half of her face, the other half barely visible in the shadows.

(E/Y/N): "That bitch got an upgrade somehow. Made weapons out of energy, charged up some new kind in their fingertip for a massive beam of energy, and somehow even made a damn Ark."

Melascula: "An Ark? That cursed amalgamation continues to be a thorn in my side . . What about your injuries, do you need any help?"

(E/Y/N): "No, I'll be fine in a few hours. Arks really hurt . ."

Melascula: "I just hate that you two look exactly alike, it's really tempting to-"

(E/Y/N): "Ah, that's not a problem!"

I morph my face into a different, yet still familiar one.

(E/Y/N): "How's this?" I smirk.

She blushes and looks away, shocked.

Melascula: "This town is finished, let's move onto the next one."

(E/Y/N): "Sounds good, lead the way!"

We move through and rob a small village of all the souls of the inhabitants, with Melascula avoiding looking at me. While we start moving onto the next one, I have to ask.

(E/Y/N): "Is this one worse than the old face?"

Melascula: "A puddle of mud would be an improvement the old one."

(E/Y/N): "Then why have you been avoiding looking at me?"

She rolls her head and turns around to look at me, clearly suppressing a blush.

(E/Y/N): "Ah, so you like it. That makes sense."

Melascula: "I do not enjoy that it resembles the do-gooder's, but yes."

I smile and keep walking, until the tired hits. And it hits hard. I yawn and stumble over, barely catching myself.

(E/Y/N): "Can we stop here? I'm about to pass out."

Melascula looks at me with disappointment.

Melascula: "Fine, sigh I suppose it would help to have you in good shape.

(E/Y/N): "Good thing I brought these then!"

I pull several pieces of wood and roofing out of me

(E/Y/N): "I had a feeling this would happen, so I grabbed it from the village."

I set them up, making it as small as possible so she can have one too. Once that's done, I use a tendril to clear a small patch on the ground and put the leftover wood on it, making a fire.

Melascula just watches the process, not helping, but interested.

(E/Y/N): "It's not much, but it's honest comfort. A little anyway."

Melascula: "I don't really need to-"

(E/Y/N): "It'll be fine, nothing out here even poses a threat, just relax."

Melascula: "You do."

I stop myself from flopping over and falling asleep.

(E/Y/N): "No. I'm not them, I'm me. Which thank you, by the way. Thank you for saving me and reanimating me."

She looks down a bit.

Melascula: "I didn't do it for you."

(E/Y/N): "I know, but I did this for you."

I gesture at her spot, next to mine.

She sighs.

Melascula: "You can't keep doing this."

(E/Y/N): "But why? You clearly enjoy it, even when I had the other face."

She takes a deep breath, then slides into her spot.

Melascula: "You know, you could've just slept in my cocoon and I could've brought you along with me."

(E/Y/N): "Well yeah, but then you never would've joined me."

She rolls over and closes her eyes.

I put my hands under my head and look up at the ceiling, but it's only half covering me so I can see the stars. Then I get an idea.

I silently cut a peice of wood to look like it broke naturally, then I quickly let go and let it fall on me.

Melascula looks over from her little hut and squints her eyes.

(E/Y/N): "Aheh . . Mine seems to have broken, but uh, maybe I can share with you?"

She lets out an audible sigh, clearly not fooled, and scoots over, patting the ground next to her.

I slide in next to her.

(E/Y/N): "Thank you."

I smile and she rolls back over, but just as she was doing so I managed to catch a tiny glimpse of a blush.

This is going very well. But I can't forget, I need to get stronger somehow. I need to be the stronger half.