In the Backbone of My Mind~ (Sans x Fem! Reader)

"Everyone is always laughing and cracking jokes, trying to forget our modern crises...Dreariness. Crowding. Lack of sunlight. I would join them, but I'm just not very funny. At least I'm not making puns."

-Scarf Mouse.

Angst-Fluff

Reverse Comfort bc I'm a sucker for that shit

Enjoy~

 Sans yawned, his baritone voice filling the silence of the living room. His skull contentedly lay on your lap, his cheekbone gently pressing against your stomach. He closed his eye sockets and laced his phalanges with your hand. You gently squeezed his skin-deficient hand, looking down at him lovingly. Seeing him look so peaceful... made you so happy. Your free hand reached to his skull, rubbing and scratching it affectionately. He sighed happily, opening his eye sockets to look up at you. His everlasting smile seemed different than usual, looking genuine and full of adoration. God, he loved this... every second of your affection made his soul swell.

 He closed his eyes again, his cheek nuzzled more firmly into your stomach. A few moments later, you could feel his skull grow heavier and his breathing even out. Looks like he fell asleep again... not that you minded. It just meant you couldn't get up for at least an hour. Oh well, might as well get comfy and join him in the realm of sleep.

 Not even a few minutes later and you were already sound asleep. You slept peacefully, your body twitching occasionally, only to recede into its limp, sleepy state. Sans, however, couldn't say the same. 

 He quietly whimpered in his sleep and his grip on your hand tightened. His breathing went from slow and deep to panicky and quick. His grip tightened again, his hand shaking from how hard it was grasping yours. This caused you to stir, your eyes slowly blinking awake. You suddenly became aware of the death grip he had on your hand. Then you heard his ragged breathing and the quiet whimpers that escaped his mouth. 'Nightmare' you thought to yourself. You knew forcing people to wake up from nightmares made everything worse, so you did the next best thing.

 You gently rubbed the back of his hand with your thumb, trying to soothe and loosen the grip of his hand. It slightly came undone, but it was still a firm hold. Then, you went to his back, rubbing small circles into it. It didn't seem to do much... You tried scratching and rubbing his skull again, hoping that would coax him out of his sleep. And to your surprise, it did.

 He woke up with a shout, looking around frantically. His eyes finally met yours, and his breathing became worse. It sounded choppy, full of raw emotion. Your gentle smile made everything worse as tears threatened to leave his eye sockets. You could notice the ice-blue tears well up in his sockets, and dammit, it broke your heart. It hurt so much to see your boyfriend in so much internal pain. You offered a hug like you always do when he's upset. Instead of hugging you as you expected, he backed away, almost fearful to touch you. 'Fuck,' he thought 'i... i can't let her see me like this...'

Blip!

 You bit your lip in worry and immediately started to search for him. Kitchen? No. In the sink? No. Behind the couch? No. His room?