Chapter 14- Is it possible?

Start from the beginning

Jimin- Do you want me to do it instead?

Y/N- Yes, please.

I pass the syringe and the infected rat to Jimin. His hands aren't shaking even slightly....I'm so grateful that he's here. Jimin injects the rat with the newest vaccine. Then he puts him back in the cage. 

Y/N- Shoot, I forgot to document this...

Jimin- Look, Y/N.

I stopped breathing for a moment, expecting the rat to start convulsing, but it doesn't. It just paces around it's cage.

Y/N- What does this mean?

Jimin- Nothing yet. We don't know if it will be cured.

Y/N- Right, I know. But it lives! This never happened before, Jimin!

But I might not get the chance to follow up...

We inject the second rat with the vaccine, and spend some time observing them. When neither of them dies, I ask Jimin if he could take me home.

Y/N- It's just...Taehyung...

Jimin- Of course. You don't have to explain.

He must have heard about what happened yesterday...gosh, it's so embarrassing.

Y/N- Oh, there's something I have to talk to you about!

On the way to the parking lot, I tell him about what Seokjin told me. He frowns and focuses on my words intently, I could already guess what kind of conclusions he's making. Could this secret lab be what cost Ms.Greene her life?

Jimin- I know what you're thinking. This could, in fact, be what I needed to know.

Y/N- That's why I told Seokjin I won't go in there without you.

Jimin's face softens.

Jimin- I appreciate it. How did he even react when you told him that?

Y/N- He didn't seem too pleased, but I think he really wants me on the team, so I have no doubts he'll invite you too.

Jimin- Why do you think he wants you there, over someone like Prof. Anita for example who has that strange tissue?

Y/N- I'm told he's fascinated with my work.

Jimin- Please, don't misunderstand. I'm sure you'd be a valuable asset to any team. We both know that Professor Angello hasn't had any major breakthroughs in a while, and now that you're so close to finding the cure, his assistant wants you in his team?

Y/N- Maybe they're closer to finding the cure than I am.

Jimin- Or maybe they want to make sure they find it first. You do realize they'll take credit for the vaccine even if you're the one who discovered it?

Y/N- I don't care about getting credit for it.

Jimin- I know, and I admire you for that. I just wanted to make sure that, while saving the world, you don't fall into a situation where you need to be saved by ambitious, envious men. I'm sure Jungkook and Taehyung would agree with me.

As annoying as all three of them can be...I really appreciate having such good friends.

Y/N- Thank you. Now, let me tell you about what I discovered in your mentor's notes.

I relay my recent findings to Jimin as he takes me home. When we arrive, we see Taehyung sitting on his porch.

Jimin- I'll pick you up in the morning. Let's set up a meeting with this Seokjin fellow. I'll ask Jungkook for his contact information.

Y/N- Okay, see you tomorrow.

I glance at Taehyung, who salutes Jimin.

Y/N- See? I wasn't alone this time.

Instead of a reply, Taehyung tosses a jacket over his shoulder, smiles devilishly and goes inside. Ugh! He's taunting me. 

I spend the rest of the day relaxing at home. In the morning, Jimin arrives to pick me up, just like he promised he would.

Jimin- Ready to go?

Y/N- Yeah. Let me just let Tae know I'm going.

I walk over to Taehyung's  house and ring the bell once, and then again, but no one answers.

Y/N- Old habits die hard.

Jimin- Are you sure you should do that? You're essentially breaking into his house.

Y/N- I just want to check on him. Besides...I'm practically family.

I unlock the front door and slowly sneak inside. The familiar scent of Taehyung's house takes me back to childhood. Everything is neatly tucked away where it belongs. Taehyung was never someone who liked clutter.

No sign of him...I tiptoed toward his kitchen, when all of a sudden he jumps out on me, shirtless, with his gun.

Y/N- Don't shoot! It's me, Y/N!

Taehyung- What the...that was dangerous, Y/N! What are you doing around sneaking around here?

Y/N- Your doorbell must be broken. I just wanted to let you know Jimin's here to pick me up, so you don't have to take me to the lab.

Taehyung-...Alright. You didn't have to bother Jimin, though. I could have taken you there.

Y/N- Some other time. We have to go now. I'll see you later.

I practically run out of his house, feeling silly and embarrassed.

Y/N- Come on. Let's get this over with.

We found Jungkook and Seokjin near the university entrance.

Y/N- There they are.

Jungkook- Jimin, Y/N, it's good to see you!

Y/N- Awfully formal today, aren't we?

Jungkook- Seokjin always says it's about time I got serious.

Seokjin- I meant it with the best intention possible. How are you doing, miss Y/N? I assume this is your colleague?

Y/N- Yes, this is my friend Jimin. Jimin, this is Seokjin.

Jimin- I've heard much about you.

Seokjin- Only good things, I hope. Jungkook has been telling me about you, as well. He says that you're a kind-hearted individual.

Jimin- Jungkook doesn't know me very well, then.

Y/N- Jungkook is a very good judge of character, so he might just figured you out. Comes with being a great leader.

Jungkook- Wow, Y/N. I didn't know you placed such trust in me. I'm humbled!

Jimin- And I'm not impressed...But I think Jungkook is a good man too.

Suddenly, Jungkook grabs Jimin in a giant hug, almost lifting him off the ground.

Jimin- No need for excessive displays of affection, please.

Jungkook- Sorry.

It makes me so happy seeing them get along.

Seokjin- Well, then. I'm happy to inform you the professor has granted me permission to invite you two into our new lab. I'd love to show you around. If you have nothing more important to do.

Y/N- That's great news! Yes, please take us there

Jungkook- I 'll leave you guys to it, then. Good luck guys!

Y/N- Thanks!

Jungkook leaves, and Seokjin motions towards the elevator.

Seokjin- Shall we?