26 - recruited; shelbys

requested by @gtraceor _____________________________

_____________________________

You held the letter in your hand as tears fell down your cheeks. Your aunt, Polly, was quick by your side, embracing you as she read what the letter said. Her hand flew up to her mouth as she choked a sob. This couldn't be true.

For once, you had a nice morning. Your brothers had just left for the war in France, breaking your heart once they took the decision. It had been a month since they left, a month of you crying for them every night and every morning. It felt so strange not being awakened by John knocking at your door, having a cup of tea with Tommy before he left for work, speaking with Arthur before you went to bed. They had always been a part of your life, and now they were gone.

This was the first morning you hadn't mourned them. You woke up, had accepted the fact that they were gone, and just hoped that someday they would come back. You wouldn't see them for long, but they were with you everyday, just not beside you.

Ada rushed downstairs as she heard you and Polly crying, holding onto each other for dear life. She quickly read the letter and cried.

"No! You can't leave Y/n!" Ada said as she embraced you, tears dripping onto your shoulder. "They can't make you."

You had been recruited to join the army as a nurse. When you were sixteen, you had worked as a nurse. It was a summer job, only doing it for the money and thinking that it was a one time thing. You had never been so wrong in your life. You were supposed to leave in eight days, just after your 18th birthday.

----

September 5th 1914

Saying goodbye to Polly, Ada and Finn had been hard. Polly and Ada cried as they embraced you, and little Finn, who was only six years old, was confused as to why you were leaving as well.

"When are you coming back?" Finn mumbled into your shoulder as you knelt down to hug him. You pushed back the tears as you hugged him tighter.

"Soon, my darling Finn. Arthur, Tommy and John as well." You said. He looked up at you, his bright blue eyes watering as he looked at you.

"Promise?"

"I promise Finny." You said and let go of him. He grabbed Polly's hand and watched as you boarded the train, waving at them through the window, watching as they got smaller and smaller as the train went on. You leaned back and dried your tears as you watched the scenery outside. There was no going back now.

You had sent a letter to Tommy, telling him about everything. His response came a few days before you were leaving. He had been angry, telling you to stay behind if you could.

You couldn't.

----

The Somme, France
November 9th 1916