17 - boyfriend; shelbys

"YOUR WHAT?" John shouted after you had told them the news

"My boyfriend will be coming over for dinner tomorrow night, and I don't want you to scare him off." You said and crossed your arms. You were the youngest member of the Shelby family, born just a few minutes after Finn. Your brothers were very protective of you, they would never forgive themselves if something bad came your way. Finn was the only one who knew about your relationship.

"And how long have you been seeing this bloke." Tommy asked from the other end of the table, staring at you.

"First of all, his name is Walter and I've been seeing him for three months now." You said and crossed your arms.

"Three months?" John's voice was high pitched in disbelief. "What the hell have our men been doing, they were supposed to keep and eye on you."

You rolled your eyes at your brother before turning your gaze towards Arthur who had been sitting quietly at the table next to Tom. You and Arthur had always had a close relationship and he took your side most of the time, but his quietness started to scare you.

"Please, just let me be happy." You said, putting your head in your hands.

"He makes you happy, this Walter?" Arthur finally spoke up.

"He does." You answered sincerely and looked up at him.

"Then I will try to accept him Y/n. For you." He said, making a small smile rise on your lips.

"Thank you Arthur." You said and turned your eyes towards Tommy and John. "What about you?" You asked sharply.

"Depends on him." John said and Tommy nodded. You groaned and walked up the stairs to your room. You just hoped that tomorrow would go smoothly.
-
A soft knock was herd from the wooden door and you hurried towards it, afraid that Pol or any of your brothers would get there before you. Luckily you got there first and you gently opened the door. There your Walter stood, with a bouquet of red roses and white baby's breath, a nervous look on his face. He handed you the flowers and you thanked him with a soft kiss.

"Come on love, let's head to the dining room." You said after he had removed his coat. He wiped his hands on his pants before he let out a nervous breath and followed you inside.

By the table your four brothers, one sister and one aunt was seated. All eyes turned towards you and Walter, no emotions evident on anyones face besides Ada and Finn who smiled at the two of you.

"This is Walter, my boyfriend." You said, grabbing his slightly shaking hand.

"It's very nice to meet you all." He said, eyes raking over your family.

"It is very nice to meet you as well Walter, please take a seat." Ada stood up and gestured two the two seats that were empty. Walter smiled at her and followed you to the table. You sat down next to John and he next to you, opposite of Polly who stared him down. "So, what is your profession Walter?" Ada spoke up after a few moments of silence.

"I work with horses, train them."

"A horse-trainer ey?" Tommy suddenly spoke up and Walter nodded quickly. "How long?"

"Since birth basically, it's been in the family for decades."

"Last name?"

"Carleton."

"You know May Carleton then?"

"She was my older brothers wife."

"I see." Tommy said with a slight nod. "You training any horses now?"

"Two at the moment, I believe that May is training yours?"

"She is." Tom said and stubbed out his cigarette. "Is it going well?"

"Yeah, May has a way with them." Walter nodded with a smile. "Are you all interested in horses then?" He asked and looked around the table.

"Yeah, we've had them since we were small." John spoke up, a cheeky smile on his lips as he glanced at you.

"Beautiful creatures they are." Arthur nodded.

"Indeed." Polly then said, rather coldly. "Tommy is the only one that owns one now though, tricky to have them in the city." She said and Walter nodded.

"You are all welcome to my stables and take a ride through the forest sometime." Walter said and the room became quiet for a moment, all eyes on your boyfriend. Soon a small smile spread on Pollys lips.

"We would very much like that Walter" She said and you sighed out in relief. The rest of the night went good after that. Tommy, Arthur, John and Walter talked for a long while about horses and the races.

You were so relieved that they all accepted him.

—————
word count: 788