22 - nurse; john shelby

The blood seeped through your fingers as you desperately pushed down on the soldiers wound

The blood seeped through your fingers as you desperately pushed down on the soldiers wound. He was screaming in pain, thrashing around as two other nurses held him down as best as they could. You weren't sure that he was going to make it, but still you did everything in your power to stop the bleeding. You watched as the soldiers face drained of color. You feared the worst when you checked his pulse, finding none.

You clasped your hands together and began doing CPR on the poor solider, but as you had blown into his mouth, blood began coming up his throat. You immediately removed your mouth and spat the blood out before speaking.

"He's gone." You said before quickly leaving the scene, wanting to get rid of the blood on your body. You went into the lavatory and washed your mouth, the metallic taste of blood making you nauseous.

You took ahold of the sink as you took in your reflection.

Tiredness and stress were etched into your features. Despair from all the lost soldiers that died on your watch, calling for their mothers. You hadn't quite realised what you hat gotten into before the first soldiers rolled in. Gunshot wounds, lost limbs from bombs, driven mad, cuttings. It was gruesome.

You still remember the first solider that died under your care.

His name was Joseph Smith, he had just turned 19. He had become a victim of a land mine and had lost both legs and an arm. He had lost an extreme amount of blood, when he arrived you knew he wouldn't make it through the night.

You cleaned his wounds gently before you tucked him in, making sure that he was comfortable. Just as you were about to leave him, he grabbed your hand. You turned to look at him, his green eyes were the most beautiful shade you thought. He smiled slightly before he began speaking.

"I'm not going to make it, am i?" His question made your eyes water and you grabbed his hand with both of yours. "It's alright, can you do something for me though?" He asked and you nodded gently. "Can you write a letter for me? To my mum, she's the only family i have."

"Of course love, let me grab a paper." You quickly grabbed what your needed and sat down by Joseph's side as he began speaking.

"Hello mum.
I'm sorry that I couldn't make it back to you.
I tried but it became to difficult.
I love you mum.
And I'll always be with you.
I'll walk beside you everyday.
Love Joseph."

You finished writing the letter, and when you looked up at him again he was looking at you through half lidded eyes, he was still bearing a small smile.

"Thank you." He said before a cough interrupted him, a bit of blood coming from his mouth. You quickly wiped his face, his eyes continued to linger on you as you took care of him. "You're very beautiful you know. I'd definitely court you if I wasn't dying." He let out a breathy laugh, making you smile.

"Well you're a very handsome man Joseph. I feel honoured." You caressed his cheek as he smiled.

"I'm so tired." He hoarsely said, leaning into your hand.

"Go to sleep." You said, watching him as he closed his eyes, and never opened them again. A few tears escaped your eyes, another pure life gone, and many more were to go after.

You walked outside after you had washed yourself, needing a bit of fresh air. The night was beautiful, stars dotting the sky and the moon shining her bright light on you. You often prayed to the moon, asking her for protection. So far you had been safe, but you never knew what could come.

On nights like these you found yourself thinking of your lover, John. You knew he was out there, staring at the moon the same way you did. You were always so scared that he would die, a life without him seemed impossible to live.

"Y/l/n, We need you inside, it's a Shelby." One of the other nurses rushed out before she turned and ran inside again. Your heart started pumping as you registered what she had said. A Shelby.

Screams filled with pain was herd as you got closer to the bed where the wounded man laid. You held your breath as you looked at his face.

John.

"He was attacked, guessing that it was a flamethrower." Another solider said.

You froze for a moment, looking at your one true love, the skin of his arm badly burnt. He hadn't noticed you yet. You grabbed a wet cloth and wrapped it around his arm. The coolness made him somewhat calm, and he looked at the person that relieved his pain.

"Y/n." He said, tears building up in his eyes as he looked at you. "You look so beautiful love." He said, tears brimming his eyes.

"Hello John." You said, cupping his cheeks. He used his unharmed hand to push your head down, pressing a kiss on your lips. "I have to clean your wound John." You said, pushing the tears away, you had to stay calm. He nodded with a smile.

You removed the cloth from his arm and began pouring water onto his arm, watching as blood flooded away from it. You gently patted it dry before coating it in a layer of anti bacterial salve and carefully wrapping a bandage around it.

He had stayed quiet the entire time, never taking his eyes off you. Once you were finished you sat down on the edge of the bed, caressing his cheek softly.

"I've missed you love." He said, voice hoarse from the previous screaming. You smiled down at him, eyes tearing up as you looked at him. He looked so worn out, his eyes were holding feelings you couldn't quite read, you could only see love, but hiding behind it was heaps of trauma.

"I've missed you too John." You finally said.

"Lay down with me." He said and scooted over to the side of the bed, making room for you. You didn't hesitate, not even bothering to think about the aftermath. You had though about his embrace everyday you had been apart. You rested your head against his unharmed shoulder and savoured the moment, not knowing how long it would last.

But as you closed your eyes and felt his warm embrace, you were home.

_________________
word count: 1092