44 - blood; shelbys

requested by anonymous___________________________

___________________________

Being the youngest Shelby had its ups and downs. Overprotective brothers, being associated with crime and everybody taking a step back as she walked down the streets.

It was good in a way, never receiving any unwanted attention, but sometimes she cursed her brothers for everything they had said and done to make the residents of Small Heath terrified of her.

She had just turned sixteen, same age as Finn since they were twins. The two of them always had each others back, Finn, who was born just a couple of minutes before her, always made sure that trouble never reached her. He would break if anything would happen to her.

That's why, in the middle of the night, he let out a gut wrenching scream as he saw his sisters bed smothered in blood. Y/n cursed from the bathroom, desperately trying to wipe the blood from her legs.

She knew that her period had come, Polly and Ada had told her all about it. But of course, the moment she had gotten it, they were out of town. Leaving her in a house filled with men.

Footsteps echoed throughout the house, her other three brothers had woken up from their slumber. She would honestly be surprised if they hadn't, Finn's scream was still ringing in her ears.

Panicked voices began shouting for explanations and for her. She groaned quietly, scrubbing ferociously to get the last bit of blood off. She knew Polly had a stash of cotton cloths in the cabinet, so she quickly grabbed a couple and laid them in her underwear.

Taking one last breath she opened the door, stepping out of the bathroom, ready for all of the confrontations.

Finn stood in the living area, hurriedly dialling a number into the telephone. She gently placed a hand on his shoulder, in one swift motion he turned around, eyes wide and filled with worry.

"Y/N!" He shouted, immediately beginning to look for any wounds on her body. "Are you alright? Did someone hurt you?" It looked like he was about to start crying as he spoke to her.

"I'm-" She started but got interrupted as someone grabbed her shoulders, spinning her around. Tommy looked just like Finn, his blue eyes wide as he placed a gentle hand on her cheek.

"Y/n, are you alright? Who did this to you love?" He shook her shoulders slightly as he waited for her answer. John and Arthur finally reached the living room, both scanning her body for any injury.

"No one hurt me Tommy." She carefully said.

"What about the blood Y/n?" John placed a hand on her shoulder.

"It's-" She internally cringed as she struggled to get the words out. "It's natural, all girls get it." She forced out, watching as realisation spread over their faces.

"Oh." Arthur said, awkwardly wiping his hands on his trousers. "That makes you a woman, ey! Congratulations." He said, making her cringe slightly with a nod.

"What? All girls get what? She's already a woman? Is she not?!" Finn still panicked from behind her.

"Arthur and John, you explain it to him. Y/n, i'll help you with the bedding." Tommy said, grabbing his younger sister's hand gently.

A small smile spread over her face as she followed her brother up the stairs. He helped her change the bedding, throwing the bloody sheets in a bucket of cold water.

"That'll get the blood out." He comfortably said, taking a seat on the edge of her bed.

He looked down at his youngest sister, it pained him slightly that she had reached her womanhood, all grown up.

He could still remember the night Ada had gotten her period. His reaction had been similar to Finn's, but Ada had told him that it wasn't anything dangerous before he was able to utter a single word. She had told him about the natural phenomenon and he remembered most of it.

"You want anything before you fall asleep? Tea, an extra blanket or..?"

"I'm fine Tom, thank you so much for helping me." She tiredly smiled, placing a hand on his knee. He grabbed her hand, running his thumb over her knuckles as he smiled warmly at her.

"It's my job to help you Y/n, i'm your big brother." He got up and kissed her forehead gently before saying goodnight and leaving the room.

Just as he was about to open the door to his bedroom, a hushed whisper caught his attention.

Finn stood by the top of the stairs, just outside the room he and Y/n shared.

"Is she alright?" He whispred, a weary look remaining in his eyes.

"She's fine Finn, just let her sleep." He quietly answered, watcing as Finn nodded and carefully opened the door.

Tommy smiled to himself. The moment he discovered his youngest sisters bloody bed, his heart seemed to stop beating for a moment. It didn't even cross his mind that it could be something as natural as period. He thought that Y/n had been killed in cold blood, or kidnapped.

He could practically hear the sound of Polly and Ada laughing when they would hear the story.

Soon the house was quiet again, and everyone drifted into a peaceful slumber.

————
word count; 884