12 - back home; john shelby

May 11th 1919

May 11th 1919

The train slowly came to a halt as it had reached its destination, Birmingham. As you got off the train, the familiar smell hit you like a brick in the face, smoke and dirt. You cussed quietly as you looked at the muddy ground that awaited your new shoes, regretting the choice you had made this morning. You finally stepped off the train, the two large suitcases tugging at your arms.

You had just gotten back home to Birmingham after six years in London. You had been studying to become a primary school teacher, and got a job in London. But after two years you got offered a job in Small Heath, the salary was much higher there, so you accepted the job.

Your grandma had passed away a year earlier and your parents didn't want to sell her house. There were too many memories within its walls. Luckily, they decided to let you live in it until you had the money to buy your own cottage.

It wasn't that long from the station to the cottage but with your heavy suitcases it felt like forever. Your shoes were ruined and hair was falling from your bun as you walked on the muddy ground. After a few minutes of walking you herd a car pull up beside you.

"Need any help there sweetheart?" A gruff voice that sounded all to familiar said. You turned your head and came face to face with Arthur Shelby. "My god, if it isn't Y/n Y/l/n, back from the big city ey?" He smiled and got out the car to greet you properly.

"Yeah, got a job offer here." You smiled at him, his face bringing back many memories.

"Really? That's good isn't it. Let me get those for you." He said and grabbed your suitcases and placed them in the back seat. He opened the car door for you. "I'll give you a ride Y/n." He said and you smiled thankfully at him.

"Thank you so much Arthur." You said and got in the car. Arthur got in shortly after and drove off.

"So where's the job at?" He asked, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Small Heath primary school." You said with a smile, watching the greenery that was passing by.

"Oh really? You decided to go with becoming a teacher then?"

"I did yeah. I'm hoping it will go well here, I worked at a school in London before."

"It will go perfectly Y/n, you always had a way with people, especially children." He said.

Back when you were living in Birmingham you had known the Shelbys. You went to the same school and had been in the same grade as John. You had spent many nights in the Shelby residence, since you lived close by.

The friendship you had with John eventually grew into something more. When you were both fifteen you both confessed that you were deeply in love with each other.

The love you held for one another was beautiful, at least that's what Polly had said. She always knew that the two of you would end up together and had often teased you about it.