32 - ex; john shelby

You smiled at John from across the room as you waved at him

You smiled at John from across the room as you waved at him. He seemed to light up as he caught your eyes, walking towards you immediately. He embraced you tightly, lifting you up as you happily laughed. He put you down on the ground before pressing a soft kiss to your lips.

You had been engaged for a year now, and you'd never been happier. He was your sun, spreading light and warmth all around.

Tommy and Grace had gotten married, and were having one hell of a party. Half of the cavalry was there, they were the closest to family that Grace had. You still didn't trust her, she was the spy after all. But you spoke to her from time to time, there wasn't any bad blood between the two of you. She seemed sweet, but you could never know what a person is hiding beneath it all.

John was quite tipsy as he kissed down your neck, you chuckled slightly as you carefully pushed him away, giving him a look.

"Now, now Mr. Shelby. Let's wait til we're home." You smirked at him making him groan slightly, pressing his forehead against yours as he smiled.

"You're making me crazy Y/n." He said, burying his head in the crook of your neck. You let your hands rest in his hair as you enjoyed the moment, but then you looked over your shoulder.

In that moment you froze, eyes fixating on him. Your ex, a man that had caused you so much sadness, so much pain. John seemed to notice your discomfort as he immediately, despite his drunkenness, looked worriedly at you.

"He's here." You said, hoping that he would get the hint. But knowing your fiancé, you knew he wouldn't. You loved him terribly, but sometimes he was quite daft.

"Who?"

"Theo." You said. John held no interest in being discrete as he whipped his head around to scan the room, squinting at numerous faces before finding him. By the way his gaze hardened and jaw clenched you understood that he had located him. By the bar, a heart eyed woman standing in front of him as he nonchalantly spoke to her.

"Right." John muttered, his fingers inter-winded with yours as he stood up straight. He finally looked back at you, gaze somewhat softening but still burning with rage. "I'll go have a word with Tommy alright? Stay here love." He kissed you before going to search for his brother.

Grace approached you, a friendly smile on her lips as she kindly gave you a glass of champagne. You gave her a soft smile, trying to hide your discomfort. She saw right through you, carefully placing a hand on your shoulder. Here eyes were filled with concern, and it seemed sincere.

"Are you okey Y/n?" She asked, voice soft like silk.

"Yeah, yeah, everything's fine." You flashed her a somewhat confident smile. "It's just- was he on the list, Mr Theo Davies?"

"Yeah, he was on the recommendation list. You know him?" She asked, turning to stand beside you, eyeing the fair haired man.

"I used to. I was together with him before he-" You trailed off, not wanting to think about it. Grace seemed to understand you again as her eyes filled with pity.

"He hurt you, didn't he?" She asked and you nodded slightly, not wanting to meet her gaze. "I'm so sorry Y/n. I would've never invited him if I knew of this." She said, truth laced in her words.

"It's alright Grace, you couldn't have known." You smiled as her. "I wasn't expecting to see him here, that's all." Grace nodded at your words. It seemed like he could feel your burning gazes, because he soon turned around, meeting your eyes. The air got stuck in your throat as he excused himself from the woman, never looking away from you. "Fucking hell. Here he comes." You said, anxiety building up inside of you.

"Y/n? Is that really you?" He asked, bright smile on his lips.

"Yeah, it is." You coldly replied. He really had the nerve to approach you after what he did.

"How've you been? It's been years!" He placed his hand on your shoulder. The feeling of his hand against yous skin brought back awful memories, you never wanted to feel it again. You stepped to the side, glaring coldly at him. "Awh come on, don't be like that." He groaned, eyes suddenly going dark. A shiver went up your spine as you looked at him, memories of him beating you coming to the surface.

"Mr. Davies, I'm going to ask you to take your leave." Grace spoke up, taking a step closer to him with a cold look in her eyes.

He opened his mouth to speak, but then someone grabbed him from behind, pulling him with them. You quickly abandoned your drink and moved after them.

You watched as John shoved Theo, making him roll across the stones. He struggled to catch his breath as John strode over. John pulled him up and shoved him against a car. It rocked from side to side because of the impact. 

"John." You said, making your way over to them. You loved John for standing up to you, but even though Theo deserved it, the beating was unnecessary.

"You were told to stay the fuck away." John roared.

"I didn't know!" Theo painfully cried out.

"Oh, save it!" John slammed his fist in his gut, making Theo keel over in a fit of coughs, the gravel and stones painfully digging into his knees. John pulled him up again, planting a punch to his jaw. He grabbed a hold of the car for balance, blood dripping onto the polished surface. John placed another punch to his temple, knocking him out immediately.

"What's going on?" Tommy marched over, already investigating the scene with his intense eyes. "What's all this?"

"Why'd you invite this fucker?" John angrily swore, glaring down at Theo's unconscious body.

"He didn't." You quickly said. "He was on the recommendation list."

"You think I'd invite him into my home after the way he treated our Y/n?" Tommy replied.

A small smile spread to your lips. Tommy had such a special way of phrasing things. Ever since John introduced you to the Shelby clan, he'd done everything in his power to make you feel welcome, to make you feel like you belong.

"Why don't you take Y/n home. Leave this to me, I'll sort this out, Go on. Grace! Get their coats."

"I'll get them." John laid a hand on your shoulder, cradling the side of your head for a moment before pulling away. He followed Grace back inside. The guests hadn't noticed the brawl, too intertwined in conversation. Tommy crouched down to check on the unconscious man.

"He means well. Always does when you're involved." Tommy said, looking up at you.

"I know." You sighed.

"Next time I'll make sure there's no unwanted guests, eh?"

That was the closest you would get to an apology. You nodded, smiling slightly at the peculiar man. John soon returned, holding your coat for you to slip into.

You waved goodbye to Grace and Tommy before climbing into your vehicle, John holding the door open for you.

You were soon on your way home. He held a tight grip on the lever, knuckles white from the pressure. You took ahold of his unoccupied hand and ran your thumb along his knuckles.

"I ruined it, didn't I?" He sighed.

"No, love." You responded, taking a reassuring grip around his hand.

"You didn't want any trouble."

"I'm part of the Shelby family. There's always going to be trouble, whether I like it or not. If I have to be honest, I liked it." You smirked.

He took his eyes from the road for a few seconds, teeth shining through his grin.

"I fucking love you."

————
word count; 1330