Chapter Twenty Nine: Nandini/Manik

Nandini

I love you.

Manik grew tense, I also stiffened in return. I closed my eyes tightly not believing that I just said that to him. I hadn't considered saying them to him because I knew he wouldn't say them back, as much as I heard things about manik I knew that love for him was illogical and impossible.

The words have slipped from my mouth unintentionally because it had been on my mind the whole day today, and seeing manik care for me so much—I couldn't help but say it. Manik had always been patient and gentle with me, I admit when I first got married to him or when I first met him I didn't think he would be like this, I've heard about the Malhotra's and they were known for their brutal torture but I've received nothing but care from manik and his brothers.

Manik moved away from me, and I got dressed. I couldn't even look at him. But when I finally looked at him I could see manik trying to comprehend what just happened, I couldn't stay here anymore as embarrassment came over me. I started moving away and my attention went to my twisted ankle realising, I slowly tried to get off bed but manik didn't let me.

He gripped on to my hand. "No" he said firmly "don't run"

"I'm—"

"Don't worry Nandini, you are probably just overwhelmed and these words must've slipped out"

I looked at him and at that moment, I realised that I couldn't run anymore I need to face it. He thinks this is a mistake, even though me saying it was a mistake—me loving him is not.

I took a deep breath and finally eyed him, gaining confidence and courage. I don't need to run away from it, I shouldn't.

"I meant what I said." I whispered, it's okay I don't love him to expect love back from him I love him because I just do.

He regarded me for a moment not knowing what to say and somehow I completely understood that.

"Nandini.."

"I know, I know and understand everything you have told me from the start. It's okay. I dont love you for you to love me back, I do because...how can I not? You've done so much for me unconditionally, even after knowing my past you've stood with me. You've protected me against everything, how could I not fall in love with you after everything you have done" I tell him. "And there's nothing or no one that can change the way I feel for you, even if you can never return the love."

"I just know one thing Nandini, what I feel around you—with you is different and something I never felt before but I don't—"

"I understand manik, I told you I don't love you for you to love me back...anyways can we forget about this? I'm hungry" I cut him off because as much as I said it's okay but I don't want to hear him say he doesn't love me back.

He looked at me piercing through my heart and I could feel the palpitations grow stronger.

"Okay, I'll get us something to eat" he gets up from the bed and dresses up "what would you like to have?"

"Uhm anything is fine" I tell him, i had lost my appetite even though I told him I was hungry.

He regarded me again wanting to say something but he stopped once again not saying what he truely wanted to say. "Okay, don't leave the cabin"

I nod as he leaves. My eyes start tearing up unknowingly, i was adamant about what I said but somehow it still hurted me but I have no complaints. I will never regret falling in love with manik.