Chapter Eighteen: Nandini

After a few hours I couldn't hear any voice from downstairs, I was curled in on the couch next to kiara who had slept. I look over to her and she was sleeping peacefully yet she looked like she was alert somehow. I'm so grateful that I have her by my side as well, growing up I've never had any friends even at school either people used to stay away from me because of my strange behaviour or I used to not being able to trust anyone.

After a few minutes I hear the door click open as kiara wakes up from even the littlest sound.

Manik walks in and he looked extremely happy and relieved even though his face had no smile on it but I could just tell.

"Kiara" he calls out as she stands up from the couch "Ahaan is waiting for you downstairs"

"Uh okay" she says in half sleep as she comes and kisses me on the cheek "take care Nandini, I'll see you tomorrow"

"You too, bye" I smile hugging her and then she leaves from there.

"Haven't you slept?" He asks me

"No I couldn't" I stand up as well facing manik "is everything okay?"

"Yes, I'll quickly go shower then I'll talk to you" he says and then rushes for a shower, he kind of had blood all over his shirt and yeah it's the best if he showered.

After about 15 to 20 minutes he walks out wearing trackies and a black t-shirt. I was waiting for an answer to what happened downstairs and with vijay uncle.

Manik goes and sits on the bed "come here" he says signalling to sleep with me. What is going on?

I swallowed "I-I don't like sleeping on the bed" ever since it happened I never slept on the bed, the first time was probably when I fainted and manik put me to the bed but other than that never. Even nyra used to ask me but I always told her that I liked the couch better and she was small to understand so she just used to agree.

"Why? Because that's where it happened?" He asks me, there was no judgement in his voice just a bit off curiosity.

"Yes" I nodded looking down.

"He begged for his death in the end, i made sure he fucking regretted every bit of it" he tells me as if he was consoling me. Was I though? Maybe.

"Thank you" I whispered and I honestly was, what manik has done for me is beyond this thank you. I wish I could convey in words, when I told my uncle I thought he was going to do the same thing that manik did but no, instead he blamed it entirely on me.

"Nandini, the power he still holds over it is something you have to break. And only you can"

"I know and I will" I nod agreeing to that.

"Good, now come here baby" he says softly. He makes my heart skip a bit when he calls me baby, I think that's twice now. I don't know if going in that direction with manik is a wise thing since he has made it clear that he has no place for love in his life. I mean whatever I'm feeling for him maybe it's because he has helped me a lot?

I made my way towards the bed as he shifted over seeing me walk, he had a small smile on his face. I climbed on the bed as he put the blanket over us, the bed was huge and we could sleep without taking each others space on it. The lights were dim, with only my lamp that was on.

"From now on you'll sleep on the bed, I know that his death doesn't change your fear, the nightmares won't stop because he's dead but he won't ever hurt you again and no body else will either" manik shifts his gaze to me.

He begged for this death

Those words kept ringing in my ear, he was dead and I know I had nothing to fear of now but it won't go away to quickly but I want to try. I want to become strong again to at least protect myself.